Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to Northern California (San Francisco) and was wondering where the nearest mountain bike ride would be with shuttle service at this time of year (Jan)? Obviously the ski resorts are out but there has to be some bike shop somewhere that runs a van up some mountain through the winter? Perhaps So Cal? I’ll drive anywhere for some shuttle runs.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,153 Posts
llaskin said:
I'm new to Northern California (San Francisco) and was wondering where the nearest mountain bike ride would be with shuttle service at this time of year (Jan)? Obviously the ski resorts are out but there has to be some bike shop somewhere that runs a van up some mountain through the winter? Perhaps So Cal? I’ll drive anywhere for some shuttle runs.

I don't know of any shuttle service running in California during the winter.

There are some fairly good DH runs around here - but you and your friends will have to shuttle yourselves.

Pacifica/Montara Mountain

Santa Cruz - Demo Forest and Campus

Joaquin Miller

Etc...

there are other "less than legal" trails as well.

Good luck!
 

·
ballbuster
Joined
·
12,718 Posts
Shuttle runs...

imridingmybike said:
I don't know of any shuttle service running in California during the winter.

There are some fairly good DH runs around here - but you and your friends will have to shuttle yourselves.

Pacifica/Montara Mountain

Santa Cruz - Demo Forest and Campus

Joaquin Miller

Etc...

there are other "less than legal" trails as well.

Good luck!
...and DH runs in Juaquin Miller? Dude, don't you do something stupid and get mountain bikes kicked out of JM. Our relations are pretty shaky as it is.

That, and there is only 5-600 feet of difference there between the high and low spots. Don't be a wuss and just ride it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,153 Posts
pimpbot said:
...and DH runs in Juaquin Miller? Dude, don't you do something stupid and get mountain bikes kicked out of JM. Our relations are pretty shaky as it is.

That, and there is only 5-600 feet of difference there between the high and low spots. Don't be a wuss and just ride it.
Get off your high horse pimpy. I got 3 rides in Redwood/JM this weekend on a 35lb, 6" travel rig and each was 15 plus miles - not a single shuttle run. In fact, I haven't touched my DH bike in 3 months. That being said, I saw several DH'ers out there having a good time.

What I do, and what others do may differ. I simply gave the new guy some info.

Calm down - go for a ride, even!
 

·
Groveland Trail Heads
Joined
·
1,897 Posts
You would be better off

llaskin said:
I'm new to Northern California (San Francisco) and was wondering where the nearest mountain bike ride would be with shuttle service at this time of year (Jan)? Obviously the ski resorts are out but there has to be some bike shop somewhere that runs a van up some mountain through the winter? Perhaps So Cal? I’ll drive anywhere for some shuttle runs.
asking this in the dh/ freeride forum. I would be embarrassed to ask that question here.... I ride up and I ride down as do the majority of bike riders. I just can't seem to get in "shuttling shape" :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys,
I would even consider going on a bit of a road-trip for a shuttle service. What about Moab? Or Oregon? I know a few places in B.C. that shuttle through the winter but that’s a bit far. So I guess I still want to know where is the nearest shuttling to San Fran?



imridingmybike said:
I don't know of any shuttle service running in California during the winter.

There are some fairly good DH runs around here - but you and your friends will have to shuttle yourselves.

Pacifica/Montara Mountain

Santa Cruz - Demo Forest and Campus

Joaquin Miller

Etc...

there are other "less than legal" trails as well.

Good luck!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,917 Posts
scheckler said:
asking this in the dh/ freeride forum. I would be embarrassed to ask that question here.... I ride up and I ride down as do the majority of bike riders. I just can't seem to get in "shuttling shape" :rolleyes:

Even those of us that are in crappy shape ride up. It just takes some of us longer than others.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,153 Posts
llaskin said:
Thanks guys,
I would even consider going on a bit of a road-trip for a shuttle service. What about Moab? Or Oregon? I know a few places in B.C. that shuttle through the winter but that’s a bit far. So I guess I still want to know where is the nearest shuttling to San Fran?
Fly to Las Vegas and 45 minute drive to Boulder City. Sick DH at Bootleg Canyon.

www.bootlegcanyon.org
 

·
gimme friction
Joined
·
1,060 Posts
Frankly

most riders on the Nor Cal board are pretty adamant about riding up and 'earning the turns'. I'm not gonna say that shuttling is frowned upon, exactly, but...most folks think it's kinda cheezy, and not compatible with the spirit of sweet-azz Nor Cal singletrack.

After all, the vast majority of the trails are geared to cross-county riding, rather than downhill. With some exceptions, of course, such as Downieville and the ski runs, which you have already mentioned.

I personally know of only one legal trail which would qualify as 'DH'. The rest are illegal, and have been ruined by 15-year-old kids on 50-lb bikes.
 

·
Let's ride
Joined
·
7,125 Posts
scheckler said:
asking this in the dh/ freeride forum. I would be embarrassed to ask that question here.... I ride up and I ride down as do the majority of bike riders. I just can't seem to get in "shuttling shape" :rolleyes:
Scheck, you're not trying hard enough. More potato chips, and get off that damn light beer.

Consume anything that is premade/cooked with lots of salt and sugar. I suggest reading the label and eating only things with a minimum of 80% of the calories derived from fat, and the remaining 20% from carbs. This is the real 80/20 rule. Stay disiplined on this diet through the winter and you'll be in fine shuttling shape by late spring.

Shuttle rides? You can try the Grizzly Flat to Steven's Canyon ride (santa cruz mtn, and saratoga/cupertino). I hope I have that right. We would start at the Saratoga Gap, and then to Longridge, then down to Grizzly. This time of year, the Longridge trail might be closed.
If you can hack 1000ft of climbing in 5mi, just go ride Demo Forest. There is another 800ft climbing to get back to the car, but the ST inbetween is more than worth it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
You can shuttle the OHV area in the Confluence area in Auburn, I think. I've always ridden up, but there are always cars and trucks parked at the top on weekends.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,371 Posts
imridingmybike said:
Fly to Las Vegas and 45 minute drive to Boulder City. Sick DH at Bootleg Canyon.

www.bootlegcanyon.org
to answer the original poster's question, this is the closest paid shuttle service that I am aware of. Or you can take muni to the top of one of hills in SF and ride some stairs down. ;) AC transit provides a similar shuttle in the eastbay.
 

·
Groveland Trail Heads
Joined
·
1,897 Posts
Diet?

rensho said:
Scheck, you're not trying hard enough. More potato chips, and get off that damn light beer.

Consume anything that is premade/cooked with lots of salt and sugar. I suggest reading the label and eating only things with a minimum of 80% of the calories derived from fat, and the remaining 20% from carbs. This is the real 80/20 rule. Stay disiplined on this diet through the winter and you'll be in fine shuttling shape by late spring.

Shuttle rides? You can try the Grizzly Flat to Steven's Canyon ride (santa cruz mtn, and saratoga/cupertino). I hope I have that right. We would start at the Saratoga Gap, and then to Longridge, then down to Grizzly. This time of year, the Longridge trail might be closed.
If you can hack 1000ft of climbing in 5mi, just go ride Demo Forest. There is another 800ft climbing to get back to the car, but the ST inbetween is more than worth it.
I never thought about it... I will try your suggestion, at least I will be smiling while eating. How are you rensho? We need another Demo exprience, when it stops raining.
 

·
Old man on a bike
Joined
·
12,383 Posts
Where'd you move from that has you expecting so much shuttling? Downieville/Tahoe should melt out somewheres around June.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,381 Posts
there are many areas in the bay area that can be shuttled. me and a few of my friends shuttle DH at JM very often. PM me if you want directions on how to get there or shuttling. you should also ride side-0 in berkeley. have fun
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,153 Posts
2 of the 7 Deadly Sins in One Post!

ebfreerider510 said:
there are many areas in the bay area that can be shuttled. me and a few of my friends shuttle DH at JM very often. PM me if you want directions on how to get there or shuttling. you should also ride side-0 in berkeley. have fun
Dude, you gotta earn your turns bro!

And you're talking about illegal trails on line, dude!

You must be a barny mon!















:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,381 Posts
JM isn't illegal and side-o is nearly impossible to find if you don't know where to go. i think if your a local that rides the trails every weekend, you can share the wealth and spread the word with whoever you want, i gave no specifics so dont get pissy
 

·
N* Bomber Crew
Joined
·
4,271 Posts
Up here in Marin there is no "Official" shuttle service to really any good DH runs. You're gonna have to scope out and find some trails that not a whole lot of people know about (What I do). Hike up them too...doesn't sound fun, but hey...not much else to do, right?

Also, get a friend who has a truck and pay him 10 bucks to drive you up and down, thats what we do.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top