Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
IVMTB & VMBEFG Illuminati
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is another recent score. This is a "near" NOS Merlin. i say near NOS because it was test ridden around the block a couple of times back in 1993. other than that this sucka is pristine. this is the first of the Merlin's with threaded BB's. it has a complete Campy Record OR groupo as you can see. i have not even cleaned it yet. im sure it will look even nicer with a little attention. oh, i barely got the tubes aired up for that first photo. both tubes are dry rotted and go flat very quick. just goes to show how this has been hanging and sitting pretty for all these years.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Does it have a 1" or a 1-1/8" steer tube. I have a similar Merlin with a 1" headset. I had a Campy Group on it but the rear hub quit working. After 4 of them I went to XTR.

The 1-1/8" steer tubes are set up for a suspension fork where the 1" is not set up for a fork. I had a Mag 21 on mine and the front end was not predictable. Put the Yo Eddie fork on and the front goes right where you point it and stays there.

Enjoy,
Wayne

·
Registered
609 Posts
That is incredible. What's the back story on how it's stayed NOS all this while?

Btw, you should route the right shifter cable housing to the left stop on the downtube, and vice versa for the left shifter. Then cross the cables under the down tube. This will prevent cable housing rub on the head tube.

·
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fog said:
Does it have a 1" or a 1-1/8" steer tube. I have a similar Merlin with a 1" headset. I had a Campy Group on it but the rear hub quit working. After 4 of them I went to XTR.

The 1-1/8" steer tubes are set up for a suspension fork where the 1" is not set up for a fork. I had a Mag 21 on mine and the front end was not predictable. Put the Yo Eddie fork on and the front goes right where you point it and stays there.

Enjoy,
Wayne
it's a 1" headset on this one.

·
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
joeadnan said:
That is incredible. What's the back story on how it's stayed NOS all this while?

Btw, you should route the right shifter cable housing to the left stop on the downtube, and vice versa for the left shifter. Then cross the cables under the down tube. This will prevent cable housing rub on the head tube.
i got this off of a previous Campy Employee that loved bikes. He did ride a lot but a few really special bikes he chose to enjoy as wall hangers. this is one of them.

·
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gm1230126 said:
Sky are you parting this one out too or hanging onto it?
it's hard to say right now. im not one to sell rad bikes that fit me although i do have another Merlin that i wouldn't feel bad about hammering on the trail. if anything i would keep the parts for a build on another frame.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
you gotta find a rigid for that like now......however that is the sexiest thing ive seen all year....damn....

btw johnnie from sb says hello.......damn about that early yeti he found for you his story is great

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
Williwoods said:
you gotta find a rigid for that like now......however that is the sexiest thing ive seen all year....damn....

btw johnnie from sb says hello.......damn about that early yeti he found for you his story is great
Yup. A nice black Ritchey Logic fork would be slick.

Another gem Sky, congrats! :thumbsup:

·
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Williwoods said:

yeah, im not much a fan of early suspension unless it's Action Tec.

damn, i havn't heard from John in a long ol time.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.