Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
skiing is meh right now, so i'm thinking ahead to mtn bike season.

i have a pretty nice aggressive all-mtn build (hadley hubs, thomson, mavic 823 rims, etc) on an old Gemini frame that i'd like to transfer over to a new frame (prolly get a coil Lyrik fork while I was at it) with more modern geometry (i.e. lower BB, longer CS). already have a pimped out yeti 575/Pike, so NOT looking for an XC/AM bike. BUT NEED 135 mm rear dropouts since i don't want to mess with getting new rear wheel / new crankset.

ideal bike would have lowish BB, near 7 inch travel (6.5+), slack HA and a descent-oriented geometry, and, ideally, a 1.5 HT (keeps options open for RS 1.5 forks, and gives headset stack options). Here's what's going thru my head:

a. SC Nomad => sorta the default choice. bearing issues still seem to come up though.
b. IH 6.6 => 150 mm rear, correct? so Nope.
c. RFX => not enough travel. no 1.5 HT option. but i like turners so it's not ruled out....
d. intense 6.6 => geometry is too trail bikey. would like something slacker. still hear tales of misaligned frames.
e. giant reign X 2007 => hey i'm not a snob, so considering it. i have a 7.785 i2i DHX air--would it fit in there? no 1.5 HT though, right?
f. canfield balance => interesting, but not enough travel.

others? sinister? what am i overlooking? thx.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
445 Posts
specialized demo 7?????

looks awesome

good for DH but could also climb
and since u have a 575 trailbike, a nomad and other 6" bikes are gunna be too all-mountainy
go for something a little more different

also has 1.5 HT

edit: for sure has a 135 rear

i think you'd be mistaken to overlook the demo 7
especially if you already have a trailbike i don't think you'd want anything less beefy
 

·
Feeding your addiction
Joined
·
2,648 Posts
Knolly Delerium would definitely be worth a look too. 1.5 headtube, adjustable head angle, adjustable wheelbase, burly enough for light DH stuff, insanely stiff rear end, pedals very very well. It's on the short end of the travel range you're looking at, but don't let that fool you. I've ridden 3 of the 6 bikes you mentioned (Nomad, Intense, RFX) and the Delerium is a significantly better descender than any of them (and significantly stiffer). Backed by a great company too, the customer service is as good as it gets.

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
How's about Morewood Shova LT ?

frorider said:
skiing is meh right now, so i'm thinking ahead to mtn bike season.

i have a pretty nice aggressive all-mtn build (hadley hubs, thomson, mavic 823 rims, etc) on an old Gemini frame that i'd like to transfer over to a new frame (prolly get a coil Lyrik fork while I was at it) with more modern geometry (i.e. lower BB, longer CS). already have a pimped out yeti 575/Pike, so NOT looking for an XC/AM bike. BUT NEED 135 mm rear dropouts since i don't want to mess with getting new rear wheel / new crankset.

ideal bike would have lowish BB, near 7 inch travel (6.5+), slack HA and a descent-oriented geometry, and, ideally, a 1.5 HT (keeps options open for RS 1.5 forks, and gives headset stack options). Here's what's going thru my head:

a. SC Nomad => sorta the default choice. bearing issues still seem to come up though.
b. IH 6.6 => 150 mm rear, correct? so Nope.
c. RFX => not enough travel. no 1.5 HT option. but i like turners so it's not ruled out....
d. intense 6.6 => geometry is too trail bikey. would like something slacker. still hear tales of misaligned frames.
e. giant reign X 2007 => hey i'm not a snob, so considering it. i have a 7.785 i2i DHX air--would it fit in there? no 1.5 HT though, right?
f. canfield balance => interesting, but not enough travel.

others? sinister? what am i overlooking? thx.
7.2" travel, 1.5 HT, Hand build. I tested it with Travis 180 SC, it's a great frame (I own the Shova ST 5.5" and the Izimu DH 8.5", they built for last).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ferday said:
if you're looking at a balance, how bout the lucky?

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=263972

adjustable 7-8" travel
yeah canfields are nice and i'm sure i'd like the lucky as a big bike, but the 150 mm rear dropout and FR-capable heavier frame are not what i'm looking for in this next purchase. thanks tho.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
looking for an improvement over my 7 inch simple, single pivot Gemini. i've checked out moorewoods before...nice bikes, light and stiff...better geo than my gemini. but would tend to have the same brake bump issues unless i installed floating rear. is there a clean looking floating rear mod for the moorewood?

anyone ride the new and improved Astrix Stryke with 6.5 inch travel? http://www.astrixsports.com/pdf/stryke-spec.pdf

not sure if it comes with 1.5 HT option.

Knolly makes very sweet bikes. almost bought one when he was getting started. i should look around and find a weight for that frame. hmmm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ooops strike the stryke---HA and CS geo are not what i'm looking for. looking for longish CS and slack HA.
 

·
Just roll it......
Joined
·
7,621 Posts
Check out the Devinci Hektik or Frantik (160mm and 180mm respectively). Both look really nice. Another option: Turner Highline with a lighter build will get you in the mid-30's and you cand have it set at 7.2" in the back.

Also, I have a Reign and if the Reign X rides anywhere near as well as the standard reigns, it's gonna rock. I'm sure I'll get a couple of days on the shore/bike park on my reign this summer just for shites and giggles.

EBX
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yep i like the highline but left it off this list since it has 150 mm rear dropoutst.

the more i look at the knolly delirium T, the more i like it. adjustable chainstay length. adj HA. 12 mm TA (my hadley converts easily). if it accepts a 7.785 DHX air, that'd be cool since i have one already.

i'll check out the other bikes you listed. thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
davec113 said:
$1600 right now, no mediums left...

is there some uzzi vpx sale i'm not aware of? searched online, didn't find anything...
 

·
Oh, So Interesting!
Joined
·
5,877 Posts
frorider said:
yep i like the highline but left it off this list since it has 150 mm rear dropoutst.

the more i look at the knolly delirium T, the more i like it. adjustable chainstay length. adj HA. 12 mm TA (my hadley converts easily). if it accepts a 7.785 DHX air, that'd be cool since i have one already.

i'll check out the other bikes you listed. thanks.
Not sure on the shock size, but I doubt its the same as reduced leverage ratio is part of the design. I think the Reign x uses that size, in a 2.25" stroke?

If you have the cash, I'd seriously consider the Delerium. It was at the top of my list, I even got to ride one briefly. The reviews so far are very good, and Noel will take the time to answer any questions you have about it.

I'm a student so the Uzzi vpx at $1600 was too good a deal to pass on. My large Uzzi weighed in at 10.1 lbs w/ the dhx coil and pedals very well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,549 Posts
In a similar boat... starting to look for a longer travel AM ride. I going from a 5.75" FOES FXR and would like to add an extra inch or so and a 2.8 or lower compresion ratio (I want to run a DHA and think they perform better with the lower ratio). My short list is the Knolly, One of the Nicolai bikes (Maybe with customer Geometry), and the Foes Inferno (but I have a feeling there could be changes for the Inferno at I-Bike since its a 4 year old design.)

Seems like a lot of the bikes out there get closer to DH geometry the closer you get to seven inches of travel (which makes sense IMO). I also like the small builders who build in-house when ever posible. (all though not all on my list fall into this category)

For what its worth, here are some of the specs I've pulled together on a few of the longer travel frames out there (all specs are based on a medium frame...might be a few typo's).
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
davec113 said:
Not sure on the shock size, but I doubt its the same as reduced leverage ratio is part of the design. I think the Reign x uses that size, in a 2.25" stroke?

If you have the cash, I'd seriously consider the Delerium. It was at the top of my list, I even got to ride one briefly. The reviews so far are very good, and Noel will take the time to answer any questions you have about it.

I'm a student so the Uzzi vpx at $1600 was too good a deal to pass on. My large Uzzi weighed in at 10.1 lbs w/ the dhx coil and pedals very well.
so where'd you get an uzzi for 1600? a bit too much travel for what i have in mind, but then again...and it does come with 135 mm rear dropout option.

yeah the knolly uses low-leverage, longer i2i shocks, so my extra DHX air wouldn't fit.

i'm hearing excellent things about the reign X frame in terms of taking square-edge hits and handling loose rock, which my terrain tends to include. but it doesn't have 1.5 HT dammit. i've had 1.5 HT and the Diabolus 1.5 stem ever since it became available, and i like the stiff accurate feel. it would be hard going back to 1.125. seems like 1.5 Lyrik + Reign X / dhx air would be a great aggressive trail bike / mellow DH. oh well.

seems like almost no bikes combining slack geo, 1.5 HT, 7 inch travel, and 135 mm rear / standard BB. maybe i should throw in the towel and buy a 150 mm rear wheel and new bb / cranks.
 
1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top