Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys need some honest advise.

Back Ground:
I decided to pursue a NINER SIR 9/frame & fork (Tang) Fully Rigid. I have connections to aftermarket parts and really good wheel builder, (I am currently on 3 pair of his work right now, VERY GOOD wheel Builder.) :thumbsup:

Beef::confused:

Go with the Niner Sir 9 Build Factory Build Kit? (RACE Face Dues XC/ American Classic Wheels)

Or Go with a Chris king wheel set/Head/ Crank (Maybe XT).

Need some advise no which way to go! (Race face is good, no doubt, but King is what I long for.)

What cranks do you guys recommend? What Chainrings?

Thanks for your advise,

Kforum

G

·
just my opinion, but i like the Eno cranks.

Chris King SS hubs are pretty sick.

There was a guy on here that posted up some really incredible pictures of a Tang Niner with red components that just about everyone drooled over.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
I have run my SIR 9 as a SS, geared with derailleur, and Rohloff'ed.

King headset, Jones H-bars, on a 50mm Thomson stem, XT crankset, Moots Ti seatpost, An-Atomica saddle, Reba fork, XT hub with Crank Bros pedals, Envy chainring, Rohloff chain, Avid Juicy 7's, Kenda nevegals front and rear mounted on Alex TD 17 rims with Kenda tubes.

This frame is versatile..and the ride is great.. :D

Try building it up yourself...imo. it's good fun.. :thumbsup:

R.

·
Purveyor of Fine 29erness
626 Posts
The SIR 9 is an awesome bike. :thumbsup:
I have a short review here
Mine is set up with King SS hubs and headset, XTR 952 cranks with Spot ring, Avid Juicy 7s, Mary bars, Thomson bits, and an old SDG "cow" saddle.
Gearing is 35-21.
Weighs 24.48lbs with Time pedals currently.
The rims I'm using are Delgados,but I am going to rebuild the wheels with Stan's new Flow rim this weekend, so I should be loosing a bit of weight by loosing the tubes.

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
The Niner build kit is GREAT value.

I have the AC wheelset and I love it. If you bash hell out of the wheels it might not be the one for you.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Consider the Niner build kit. THEN, upgrade the bearings in the AC wheels to ceramic ones. Then you'll have a light and dependable wheelset. The kings are nice...but a little heavy for my weight-weenie taste and too expensive for me.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm currently collecting parts for a Sir9 SS build. I bought the frame and niner rigid fork through Bitterbrush Cycles at a 10% discount with free shipping. You can find his ad here on the classifieds. So far I've collected an Eno crankset with bottom bracket and chainring for 118 bucks, a Thomson post for 46 bucks, a Race Face Deus stem for 26 bucks, a King Headset for 56 bucks, and Specialized saddle for 16 bucks. Now these are used parts but I think I'll save substantially over the Niner build kit. I'm going to have MikeC build me some wheels with DT hubs so I'll have to put out some bucks there but it should give me a much better wheelset than the American Classics. At this point I can't decide whether to use an SS hub or hedge my bet with a cassette hub so I can run 1x9 some of the time. I'm looking now for some good hydraulic disc brakes. I have a set of Avid J7's and like them and also like the Hope minis so eventually I'll find a deal on one of those. I like looking for good parts at a savings.

·
Registered
11,774 Posts
I've been eyeing those two

After building a 29r FS Im under the impression that a crankset with a removeable spider or fixed 58/94 BCD is the way to go. Not only do you get a heck of a lot of diversity when it come to chainrings but you get an adjustibility in gearing thats not there with a 104/74 BCD'd crankset. This means middleburns, older RF turbines, and XTR cranks.

Wheel wise, ive rolled CK wheels and loved um ..well till i rode some DT 240s,,that is, The drag on the CKs was noticably more..TO ME. I liek the rebuild ability of the CK but the DTs can too be rebuilt and their lighter..

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm basically going through the same thing, but I haven't pulled the trigger on the frame yet. Thanks for the tip on the coupon- I will definitely use that. My question is a size recommendation. I am 5-7 and 155 ready to ride (by spring I should be nearer 150). I am between Small and Medium. After emailing Niner, they recommended a small frame based on my inseam of 28.5 inches. I currently ride a 17" MC29er. It has negative standover, but I am afraid of going to a frame that is too small. When I have gotten on my 26er that is a 15.5" frame is feels small, but my small Road bike doesn't. What do you guys recomend?

Brian

·
Jacob 34:19
516 Posts
Built my Sir with ENO cranks and DT hubs. Both have performed very well. I also built mine with Delgado rims. Awesome wheels but at close to 200lbs, they're a bit flexy for me. I'll probably be rebuilding them with a welded rim later this year.

The Middleburn cranks are another nice option for SS cranks. There was a post recently with a bunch of good info on them. You might also look at the Pauls.

Originally bult the bike with Juicy 7's. I've since swapped them out for BB7's and actually like them better. The lever feel isn't quite as positive but they're a lot quiter, easier to service, plenty of stopping power, and a bit cheaper. YMMV.

·
Registered
11,774 Posts
One tip...ill add...

when your measuring your inseam do it with the shoes you plan on riding in on your feet. Why? because its not like your going to be riding whatever bike in your bare or socking feet.

·
Got Twins?
297 Posts
Rainman said:
The Niner guys are pretty experienced in sizing the bike to the rider...however, I prefer the medium to the small myself.

R.
I'm 6' and am on a medium per Chris' recommendation. I probably could have gone with a large but the fit is fine. One benefit is a ton of seatpost for some cush. It depends on you, what do you ride now and do you prefer a larger frame or smaller one. The Niner guys are pretty good about getting guys sized up on thier bikes.

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
Yeah, trust the Niner guys. I am on a Medium too after one of them talked me out of a large. Having ridden it for a while, they were right. The L would have been waay too big.

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
l84biking said:
I'm 6' and am on a medium per Chris' recommendation. I probably could have gone with a large but the fit is fine. One benefit is a ton of seatpost for some cush. It depends on you, what do you ride now and do you prefer a larger frame or smaller one. The Niner guys are pretty good about getting guys sized up on thier bikes.
I have a large SIR9 and could not be happier. At 5' 11.5" and a 32" inseam, Chris and the other Niner guys put me on a medium. I probably emailed and/or talked to them a total of 10 times about proper frame size. I tried my pals medium and maxed out on seatpost. Even so, I believe the medium fit. Nonetheless, I went with the large because I like short stems and a fairly upright riding position. I run a no rise 70mm stem. I think the fit is perfect for what I want. I am an in-betweener and have always gone large over medium.

I built up my SIR9 with gold Hope Pro II single speed/trials hubs with DT Swiss tk7.1 rims. The Hopes are much less money than Kings, but just as bling. Moreover, I just got a gold Hope stem, so now I am super bling. I love using Boone cogs. I also have a Boone chainring on an LX crankset. I like the integrated bottom brackets over the ENO cranks, but those ENOs sure look good, and if you use them with a Boone chainring, they look better than anything else.

·
----woof----
196 Posts
I'm 6' and running a large SIR9 Godzilla Green frame with Niner rigid fork, DT Swiss 240 hubs and DT 7.1 rims, and ENO cranks. I'm probably could've run a medium frame but the large seems fine to me.

I was originally looking at the SS build kit from Niner. Seemed like a really exceptional deal on the components. Only real reason I didn't go with it was because I already had a lot of parts from my 26er that I transferred over.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.