Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Merry seasonal holiday of choice.

Well, my American Classic rear hub grenaded on the trail last night, making for a long, cold dark walk-out. It now freewheels forward AND backward. I have not torn into it, but I suspect it is fubar.

So... new wheels! I have been looking around for a while, so I will not solicit the "What wheels should I get?" thread. I am trying to find some info on a North Carolina manufacturer making prebuilt wheelsets with alloy spokes and hubs of there own design. I know I have seen pictures of them, but I just cannot find them.

Also, my interest is growing in the U.S.E. S.U.B. fork. No hits when I search this site, though. Any ideas or opinions?

Thanks

W. Ritter

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
There is a thread right now labeled 29(er) Tubeless Tyres authored by Rob Dean who has had a SUB fork on his Inbred now for about 4 years. I tried one here after seeing his but we could never get it to work well enough and passed it on but it is still in the states I believe although I have never seen any evidence of the person that I sent it on to using it. Rob says he is loving his.

Contact Rorey @ U.S.E and I am sure he will be able to tell you how to hook up to one. Tell him Bob from CB sent ya.

There is also a large current thread on the industry nine wheels you are looking for.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bigwheel said:
There is a thread right now labeled 29(er) Tubeless Tyres authored by Rob Dean who has had a SUB fork on his Inbred now for about 4 years. I tried one here after seeing his but we could never get it to work well enough and passed it on but it is still in the states I believe although I have never seen any evidence of the person that I sent it on to using it. Rob says he is loving his.

Contact Rorey @ U.S.E and I am sure he will be able to tell you how to hook up to one. Tell him Bob from CB sent ya.

There is also a large current thread on the industry nine wheels you are looking for.
You, Big Wheel, are the man. Couldn't remember Industry Nine. I will get in touch w/ Rob.

Thanks

W. Ritter

·
www.bigrobracing.co.uk
312 Posts
wilhelmritter said:
Merry seasonal holiday of choice.

Well, my American Classic rear hub grenaded on the trail last night, making for a long, cold dark walk-out. It now freewheels forward AND backward. I have not torn into it, but I suspect it is fubar.

So... new wheels! I have been looking around for a while, so I will not solicit the "What wheels should I get?" thread. I am trying to find some info on a North Carolina manufacturer making prebuilt wheelsets with alloy spokes and hubs of there own design. I know I have seen pictures of them, but I just cannot find them.

Also, my interest is growing in the U.S.E. S.U.B. fork. No hits when I search this site, though. Any ideas or opinions?

Thanks

W. Ritter
I've been running a 29er SUB for several; years now, firstly in the South Downs (UK Limestone) and now in the Peak Districk National Park (Gritstone & rocky) and it's been fantastic. In the mean time I've had Rebas, Marzocchi & Pace 26" forks on othe rbikes and the antidive of the SUB just can't be matched.

The action's super smoothe due to the leverage advantage of the linkage and the antidive does exactly what it says (as a mechanical engineer/designer they make a LOT of sense). As for servicing the basics, and in fact a full strip, can be done by hand and a single allen key 5mm or 6mm, but as I can't remember you can see how often I have had to do this (well hardly ever if I'm honest!).

Plus of course the support from USE is second to none

In fact I couldn't recomment them higher.

You can see mine here:

http://www.shitshifter.com/pictures/view.jsp?pid=138

·
Appalachian Singletrack'n
1,444 Posts
Wilhelm,

The wheels are:
http://www.industrynine.net/

I know several people riding them, mostly on DJ and Trail bikes but a couple of folks on 29ers.
The Zoo has 6 sets of 29er I9 wheels on order I think a couple of them are not spoken for. I believe they are all black with DT rims they sell for ~$800. I have a set due in as soon as the new Salsa rims arrive, I got mine through Harpers.

Did you have to walk out of the Queen in the dark? That sounds scary.

BTW…...If you need a 29er wheel to get you by for a while until you sort this out I have something you can borrow. Of course you can always ride that little wheeled RacerX. :eek:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Man threads like this make me wonder why in the heck I just bought some American Classic wheels. I am starting have feelings of regret hahaha. Hopefully since I just ordered mine they will have the updated hubs etc. I guess we will see...

Happy Holidays fellow 29'ers, may the season be great to you.

·
Registered
660 Posts
bikeanddrum said:
Man threads like this make me wonder why in the heck I just bought some American Classic wheels. I am starting have feelings of regret hahaha. Hopefully since I just ordered mine they will have the updated hubs etc. I guess we will see...

Happy Holidays fellow 29'ers, may the season be great to you.
My AC hubs have been trouble free all summer, but let me tell you, the QR's suck donkey d**k.
-jon

·
www.bigrobracing.co.uk
312 Posts
Enel said:
How much travel does that fork have using 29er wheels?
I just measured the tide mark on my fork from the last ride and it seems like I got about 80mm, which is exactly what they're supposed to have. I didn't notice them bottoming out (good) on the ride but I did give them a battering on the last ride (that was extra good!)

·
CNC Dude
97 Posts
yes, but...

dRjOn said:
do the easton wheels' spokes thread into the hub in the same way?
...there are two major differences: One - the Easton (nee VeloMax) spokes are steel, with normal-spoke-sized threads on both ends. Two - the Easton's still use a nipple at the rim. In my past dealings with VeloMax (maybe different now), if you break a spoke, you must send the wheel back to the factory for replacement and re-truing.

The Industry Nine spokes are one-piece machined 7075 alloy with oversized threads at the hub end. They have standard spoke-wrench flats milled on them at the rim end. If one should break, they can be replaced easily by shop mechanics without removing either cassette or rotor.

The Eastons also use their "proprietary rim," which has a reduced spoke count. The Industry Nines use DT 32-hole rims in stock configurations, or can be ordered with Stan's tubeless rims to reduce weight significantly. The stock 29er's from i9 weigh 1900g for the set.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
shopvet said:
The Industry Nines use DT 32-hole rims in stock configurations, or can be ordered with Stan's tubeless rims to reduce weight significantly. The stock 29er's from i9 weigh 1900g for the set.
Is that the DT TK-7.1?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.