Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Just brought home a new ex 7 in dark aquatic/black. I'm a little confused though, my bike is spec'd with everything currently listed on their website except the fork. Mine came with a RS Pike select+ 130mm travel. 2 Questions.... is this pike an improvement over the gold 35 Gold RL? And also... it only says 130mm travel on the fork and with a 51mm offset! What gives? I thought the newer frames were designed with a 140 and 44mm offset.

I have Trek CS rep looking into it. If they say it's intended for this bike, what do I do? I don't now how I feel about 130 travel. Would the offset of 51 mess things up as well? I want the bike for how it was designed.

Either way, this thing rocks!

· Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Manufacturers always reserve the right to substitute any part for an equivalent or better option.
Yeah, I get that. I first want to have Trek officially tell me that it wasn't a mistake. But do I have the right to ask for the same travel/offset that the bike was originally intended for? I guess thats the question. Pretty sure they designed this frame with a 140/44 offset in mind. Would there be negatives for using this 130/51 offset fork?

· Registered
3,555 Posts
I doubt the manufacturer would have spec'ed a longer offset fork, but @[email protected] would be able to tell you.

That said, and offset aside (can't hurt to ride it), the fork is in a completely different league than the 35. Buy a 140mm air spring from the shop that sold it to you, and have them install it. Or do it yourself.

· Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I doubt the manufacturer would have spec'ed a longer offset fork, but @[email protected] would be able to tell you.

That said, and offset aside (can't hurt to ride it), the fork is in a completely different league than the 35. Buy a 140mm air spring from the shop that sold it to you, and have them install it. Or do it yourself.
That's a good idea. Would the longer offset be an issue putting any undue stress anywhere?

· Registered
3,555 Posts
Longer offset doesn't necessarily hurt anything. There are multitudinous discussions, threads, videos, etc on the effects of fork offset, and how it relates to trail (that is, the physics of steering, not literal dirt).

The super basic explanation is that a longer offset yields a more stable ride at speed, but floppier handling when going super slow.

7mm is peanuts compared to a true 'low trail' fork, though. It's not likely to make a major adverse difference to handling.

· Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the replies/help. I just dropped it off at my local Trek dealer for "warranty" work per Trek customer service. They warned me that finding a fork and fork parts (if I go the 140mm upgrade air shaft) is tough now. So now I wait to see my options.

@[email protected] - Do you find it strange that you guys sent this out with a 130/51mm offset fork considering the bike was designed around 140/44? I'm concerned with BB clearance going lower with a 130 and also a slightly longer wheelbase now with a 51mm offset.

· Disgruntled Peccary
6,678 Posts
A 140 C1 air shaft shouldn't be too difficult to find right now. You're only dropping .5º of HTA at 130mm, and I'm not sure I can actually feel the difference between a 44mm and 51mm offset (although, some people can).

· Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A 140 C1 air shaft shouldn't be too difficult to find right now. You're only dropping .5º of HTA at 130mm, and I'm not sure I can actually feel the difference between a 44mm and 51mm offset (although, some people can).
Thats good to hear. I know we are only talking minuscule changes I probably wouldn't even notice, but I'm kind of a stickler when it comes to a bike being spec'd as it was designed.

· Registered
332 Posts
My wife's bike is a Cotic FlareMax designed around a 44mm offset fork. I built it up with a Fox 34 51mm offset fork that I had lying around and it rides just fine. Before I rode it I was thinking about looking for a 44mm CSU to swap out, but after riding it I've found no reason to spend the money. Air shaft swaps are easy, and the Charger damper in the Pike is a way better damper than the motion control in the 35.

· Registered
821 Posts
You will notice that the Pike Select is a way better fork than the 35 Gold RL more than you would notice the difference between 44mm and 51mm offset. I'd take that trade all day any day of the week.

· Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I'm definitely up for the upgrade. Especially bringing it to 140. I compared the two by just pumping the Gold on another bike in the store with pumping the pike on my bike and the pike was way smoother. They also had a carbon version there with the fox 36 performance. I joked and said maybe you can just tack that one on my bike lol.

· Registered
332 Posts
Pike Select+ would compare favorably with the Performance 34/36 or even the FIT4 Performance Elite/Factory as far as the damper goes. It doesn't have quite the range of adjustment as the GRIP2 forks, but that Charger 2.1 damper is at least as good as the other Fox dampers (probably better).

· Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Pike Select+ would compare favorably with the Performance 34/36 or even the FIT4 Performance Elite/Factory as far as the damper goes. It doesn't have quite the range of adjustment as the GRIP2 forks, but that Charger 2.1 damper is at least as good as the other Fox dampers (probably better).
Oh wow. I was doing a bit of reading trying to figure out the difference between the select and the select+. I came to the conclusion that the select + is OEM only. Either way, I'm seeing why everyone is saying to just take the select+ since its way better than the Gold. Thanks all.

· Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I went back today to pick my bike up, as its useless sitting there waiting for trek to answer about the fork. When the compression setting is all the way up, or all the way to the right... isn't the fork supposed to basically be locked out? Right now it just gets a little stiffer, but I can still compress it/cycle it. Am I missing something here? All I need now is the fork itself is broken lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.