Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
eastern time? or pacific? or what? thanks for the info though. But I'd like to know the exact time so I don't sit down and realize that it ended an hour before hand. thanks

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
eastern time, sorry about that. i think the actualy events start a day earlier at 4 am here. at least it's being covered on nbc and might get some better exposure than if it was on usa or bravo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
special olympians

Are they having the same welfare/pity deal as in 2000, where they gave a bike to some random, totally inept african who had never seen a wheeled device in his life, slapped a number on his back, and let him race with the world's elite? On the 1st or 2nd lap, the guy wiped out on a tough descent, got his forks stuck facing backwards, and spent several minutes trying to break them loose.

During the highlight reel, the sap announcer says "... and no one laughed ..." which made me laugh, because what he should have said was "funny as this was, it's no laughing matter". One of the racers could have crashed out or been seriously injured with this sub-beginner obstructing the most dangerous part of the course.

Hopefully this year the do-gooders will just send a bunch of free bikes to "Wherever", and keep them out of the race until they earn it.

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
quarkman said:
Are they having the same welfare/pity deal as in 2000, where they gave a bike to some random, totally inept african who had never seen a wheeled device in his life, slapped a number on his back, and let him race with the world's elite? On the 1st or 2nd lap, the guy wiped out on a tough descent, got his forks stuck facing backwards, and spent several minutes trying to break them loose.

During the highlight reel, the sap announcer says "... and no one laughed ..." which made me laugh, because what he should have said was "funny as this was, it's no laughing matter". One of the racers could have crashed out or been seriously injured with this sub-beginner obstructing the most dangerous part of the course.

Hopefully this year the do-gooders will just send a bunch of free bikes to "Wherever", and keep them out of the race until they earn it.
They gave that guy more coverage than the rest of the race. Wasn't he racing as a replacement for his brother who died, but had actually been a decent racer? Last Olympic's coverage sucked. Too much "human interet" stories about the athletes, and hardly any good footage from the events. I'm not too excited for the 2004 games.
Sasquatch

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sasquatch said:
They gave that guy more coverage than the rest of the race. Wasn't he racing as a replacement for his brother who died, but had actually been a decent racer?
I was sure it was a plain-old "handout" entry, since they did the same thing with a swimmer. The guy was so lame, his legs were kicking 2 feet below the surface. And he got to "race" by himself because ALL of the other swimmers false-started themselves out. I can understand a country being to poor to afford bikes or shoes, but how can they not afford a pond or river to swim in?

Whether his brother died, or they pulled him off the street, he didnt deserve to be there. That had to really tickle some guy who busted his nuts training & racing for 4 yrs to qualify, only to miss the final spot by 2 points.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.