Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
OriginalDonk
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted this over on the wheels and tires forum but it may be more appropriate here. If you're looking to do some work on a trail system it might helpful to take a look at the Web Soil Viewer (produced by UC Davis using National Resource Conservation Service soil survey information) to gain some insight into what kind of soil you're dealing with. We all know what sections are prone to have issues. Sandy loams (well draining, can be loose in the dry) present different challenges than something like a silty-clay (poorly draining, will pack firmly in the summer). This may help explain why parts of your 12 mile loop are perfect in the spring while others are the nasty peanut butter clay that are a trail crews' nightmare. Somebody could theoretically pull this into a Google API and load race routes. I'm all about more info.

Take a look here:

http://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/soilweb_gmap/

Another tool that might help people make go/no go decisions for trail work or riding is the NOAA quantitative precipitation forecasts. Your trail might not be close to a gage but these maps break rainstorms depths into 6 hour intervals so you may have a better idea whether you can hit it early before a storm comes in later or see how much is actually supposed to fall in your area (not at some airport a few miles away).

http://www.cnrfc.noaa.gov/precipForecast.php?cwa=MTR&day=2&img=3

(Currently on the Bay Area but can be moved elsewhere)

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
This is excellent, especially the soils. I have been looking at the areas where we have mud problems, and places where we have built or plan to build trails. This is a great planning tool.

I'm trying to figure out how to integrate the rain data into our trail conditions page that I am working on a redesign.

Thanks for the links!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.