Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Paste eater
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there AZ folks. Can someone recommend a route on SoMo that includes national trail but is longer than this on MTB Project? I've ridden here once before and I'm certain we did more miles than this. We don't have a shuttle but are ok with some road miles if needed. Fine with the more technical trails fwiw! https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/475329

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
when you get to Buena Vista lookout/parking just keep going west. National goes all the way across the spine of the mtn. Then turn around and head back. Sounds boring, but it is not. Just about all the trails from the top of the mtn are pretty techy on the way down and there are many many loop options. There are no "set rides" there. Just miles and miles of interconnected trails.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Use the Trail Forks app or website. It's much more comprehensive for most of Arizona. MTB Project is missing a lot of trails as you've seen.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,011 Posts
when you get to Buena Vista lookout/parking just keep going west. National goes all the way across the spine of the mtn. Then turn around and head back. Sounds boring, but it is not. Just about all the trails from the top of the mtn are pretty techy on the way down and there are many many loop options. There are no "set rides" there. Just miles and miles of interconnected trails.
Yep, this is more technical, up and down, remoteness and fun than most people can handle in a day. Prepare and it can be a truly epic day on a bike. In the summer, it can be a death-ride where there's no way to safely complete give the water, heat and exposure situation. In the winter, it's epic, but this is no trail for sissies, bring your best tubeless sealant and body armor.

·
DFL>DNF>DNS
3,353 Posts
How many miles are you looking to do? If you want a bit more than the mtbproject ride, continue on Natty past Buena Vista lot down to Telegraph Pass. From here you have some options depending on how much you're looking to do.

Here are some choices:
a) climb the road back up towards Buena Vista, but get on upper Holbert trail to reconnect to Natty. Take that all the way back to the Pima Canyon Lot.

b) take the road down about a mile or so, go left (up) Ranger trail to Natty & continue west. Drop down the west face of the mountain to Bursera. Then left at the bottom to Gila & Lower Pyramid. Take the road up to Desert Foothills TH & Desert Classic back to Pima. (mix in some of the loops off DC for more fun like lower Corona de Loma & Secret)

c) at Telegraph pass go down Telegraph towards DC. There will probably be some HAB on Telegraph, but it's relatively short. Then continue on DC per option b)

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
If you do the Coast to Coast route(without going out on the last bit of Natl) you're looking at 25.5 miles and a good 4 hours of riding if you keep up a good pace. Here's the STRAVA link for that ride/segment:
https://www.strava.com/segments/3655612

Can someone tell me the overall mileage if you do the entire National Trail out and back? Will I get killed by folks coming down if I climb it on a weekday?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
933 Posts
I like up Mormon>National>Buena Vista Parking area, then descend either Geronimo (technical) or Holbert (very technical)>east to 24th St.>up Mormon>down National. Lots of everything on this ride.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I like this route. Check out the trails on trailforks. It involves some short road connections, but it's still super fun.
National>Pyramid DH>Gila>Road to Telegraph and HAB up that> Summit road to Holbert Connection ride up that to National and take National back.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I like up Mormon>National>Buena Vista Parking area, then descend either Geronimo (technical) or Holbert (very technical)>east to 24th St.>up Mormon>down National. Lots of everything on this ride.
I'll second this route. If you're feeling good you can ride back to the saddle on national (just before BV parking area) after going up 24 St/Mormon and then drop down national.

·
Just Joshin' ya!
1,980 Posts
How is riding up Mormon?
If you are talking about Mormon/24th Street trail, climbing up is very difficult and generally sucks nuts, IMHO. Its a fun techy DH trail when it is not clogged with hikers, though. The only people I know that climb all or most of it are incredible mtbers. Most people I see going up are HABing. It's very steep and I have to HAB about 85% of it until it connects back to Mormon Loop. Mormon Loop, however, which starts from Pima Canyon, is completely climbable.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Out of curiosity, what is the best way to get from the bottom of Holbert to the 24th street lot (assuming that is what you do)? Looks like one could take all road to do it, but the Google map almost looks like there may be paths that someone could take. Thanks.

·
No Clue Crew
7,248 Posts
Mormon/24th is pretty rideable climbing. Actually probably easier than National since it's so short. The worst is right out of the lot where it gains a bunch of altitude from the get. After that, it's not bad.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
Yep, that trail is more doable than you might think. Not one that you're gonna clean every section but surprising in the amount that can be ridden. I like to think of it as a video game kinda ride, more points for more sections cleaned. Some HAB for sure but I focus on doing as much as possible.
Mormon/24th is pretty rideable climbing. Actually probably easier than National since it's so short. The worst is right out of the lot where it gains a bunch of altitude from the get. After that, it's not bad.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts