Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Local map book sucks, or i just can't read a map. If you are by yourself where is the best access at the top for the full length national trail ride all the way to the bottom. Just want to get to the bottom man

·
AKA shitbird
2,342 Posts
If you just want to go from top to bottom with minimum uphill pedalling your best best is to get shuttled to the Buena Vista Parking lot via the Central Avenue entrance to the park. From there you will catch National trail heading east and end up at the Pima Canyon parking lot near 48th St. and Gaudalupe. There are higher points on National but none that you'll get to without climbing a bunch of hills.

The better option if you're not afraid of a little pedalling is to ride up to Buena Vista from the Pima Canyon lot like most people do and make it an out and back ride. It's a challenging but fun ride up (depending on your skill level of course).

National trail goes alot farther west than what you'll do on either of these rides but if you haven't ridden here before I wouldn't suggest going it alone (at least on your first ride). The trails further west aren't traveled near as often and you'll end up on the west side of the valley in the middle of nowhere. The best riding is on the east side anyway.

Hope that makes sense

·
dirt visionary
6,522 Posts
Here is a good map of South Mountain. Also check his album out as it has maps of a ton of trails in the state.

eabos also forgot to mention that you will only beable to drive up to Buena Vista on Sat. or Sun. until mid October. SO right now the best way on a week day is to start from the Pima canyon parking lot and ride up the fireroad to National, then taking morman until it turns back into national and then up towards Buena Vista. Then turn around and follow national all the way back down down.

Also keep your eyes peeled for group rides or shuttles.
Map
http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/displayimage.php?album=54&pos=7

South Mountain website
http://phoenix.gov/parks/hiksogud.html

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,179 Posts
dreynolds said:
Local map book sucks, or i just can't read a map. If you are by yourself where is the best access at the top for the full length national trail ride all the way to the bottom. Just want to get to the bottom man
If you are by yourself then you gotta ride up in order to ride down. Park at the Pima Canyon/48th St entrance and make it an out-and-back journey. Check out this tread for maps to get you to the trailhead:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=2822100#poststop

Also, be sure to visit the visitor's sticky at the top of the AZ forum for info on local trails. Once you are settled in Phx keep an eye on this board and you will find tons of ride posts that are open to all. The best way to learn a new area is to ride with the locals! We're a friendly bunch here in AZ of varied talents so I'm sure you'll find a happy place in no time at all.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
South Mtn

Thanks for all the advice guys, ill be over there for two weeks begining oct. Hopefully i can post another thred and hook up with somebody

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.