Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started from the golf course (next to Lake Wenatchee) and went up to the look out and back. Either I am out of shape or the trail is harder than I thought. Probably both. It's 18 miles and about 5,000' of climbing. About 99% ridable I would say. Still took me 3 hours to get to the top. Just one significant snow patch. All clear otherwise. The descend was pretty fun and faster than I expected. I was back from the top in about an hour.

The goat family has a cute little baby goat now so I am sure all of you guys will be heading there next weekend to see the baby goat :)

The fire-watching guys at the lookout told me they saw a couple bikers come up the day before. Anyone on this forum?

I didn't take any pictures but here are some good ones from a hiker's report a couple weeks ago. Pretty much all of the snow is gone by now:
http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/download.php?id=3657126281_0274013215&p=512694

Oh, the best part of the ride was swimming in Lake Wenatchee right after. That felt goood! :thumbsup:

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
I thought you didn't swim in lakes that didn't have snow in them.

Can't wait for Rock Mt. to melt out.

Check out the slide debris at the bottom of the hill:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Where does the trail start behind the golf course? We're doing a family camping trip at the lake next weekend. Any directions would be welcomed. Thanks.

·
born again
652 Posts
NPL said:
Where does the trail start behind the golf course? We're doing a family camping trip at the lake next weekend. Any directions would be welcomed. Thanks.
Turn left on the Lake Wenatchee State Park Road off of Highway 207 and follow it across the bridge over the river then turn left on Cedar Brae Road followed shortly by another left onto Club House Road. Take the first right onto Kahler Drive and the trailhead is at the end of the road. NWFP required.
Check out John Zilly's guidebook for ride information. Also visit the USFS Wenatchee Nation Forest website for driving and other information.

·
Registered
66 Posts
We rode this trail on 07/20/09. There must have been a cowboy convention up there recently that has seriously impaired the trail's tread. Not a big deal on the descent but caused extra hike-a-bike for us on the way up.

The mosquitoes were horrendous but also motivated us to keep moving. Still the entire round trip took us 9hrs.

The descent is good and completely made up for the grueling climb.

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
wickstad said:
We rode this trail on 07/20/09. There must have been a cowboy convention up there recently that has seriously impaired the trail's tread. Not a big deal on the descent but caused extra hike-a-bike for us on the way up.
Pretty typical trail conditions lower down on the ridge.

For more tech, try heading to the lookout from the Merritt Lake trail.

·
Registered
66 Posts

And we were thankful for the hospitality of the lookout. Otherwise I would not be hanging out taking photos and enjoying the view albeit haze-hampered somewhat by some Canadian wildfires of all things according to the lookout.

We're still over here and the haze seems to have departed to be replaced by a stretch of 100 degree plus temps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts