Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Monte, Did you survive? How many people went on the ride? Another BBTC Hell Ride no doubt.
I am just wondering about how long it took. I did the Over the Top Race in Olympia which seems about as wacky a ride as I would ever want to do. Is the trail fairly smooth or is this one of those rocky, rooty full suspension type rides? I am starting to conclude at my age and my power-weight ratio these rides are pretty nutty. My last BBTC ride my derailleur was torn off about the time I concluded it was a sick ride.

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I survived, I'm here.

Just 3 did the ride, the 2 that signed up and the leader. I wouldn't call it a "BBTC" Hell Ride, but maybe an "Igor" Hell Ride. We were 10 hours car to car, about 8 hours riding as logged by my cyclometer. The only "smooth" part is from Round Mtn down to the cars at the trailhead. We looped it from the trailhead at Kahler Glen Golf Course, riding up the valley around Lake Wenatchee, up the Little Wenatchee River to the Lower Snowy Creek Trail (old and unmaintained). The road was 18 miles.

From the LSCT it was singletrack to the cars, almost 25 miles. The climb up to gain Rock Mtn was brutal, a push for about 2500', pretty much no riding.

The ride could be done on a hardtail I suppose. It would be a lighter bike to push for sure. But there are sections where an ht would be a little sketchy. Not my first choice, but then, I don't ride one.

What ride did you rip your derailleur off on?

Monte

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Its great guys like Igor like to lead some of these really difficult rides. The heat the past couple of days makes rides like Nason Ridge a real challenge. You must have had to get stream or river water along the way. I have only done two BBTC rides, the last one up the lower Mad River Trail was pretty rocky and thats where the derailleur got separated by a branch going though the spokes. I was riding my Giant VT then, the next day I got a used hard tail which if the trail is smooth enough is a real rocket. I dont think I would take it on a BBTC ride unless I knew the trail was smooth. My next real ride will be the Schweitzer Wims race. After that hopefully there is another BBTC ride in my area.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
That was it, except I drove up that morning and didnt get on the trail until everyone had left. I caught several riders and at about 7.5 miles up the hanger snapped. I think most of the riders turned back after nine miles or so.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Monte,
I was so bummed that you guys did that last weekend. Having given that a go from the other direction solo last year, it looked more doable than it sounded. Reminds me of the Yellow Hill-Jolly Mtn-West Fork fiasco last year. Even Hutton won't do that again.
Double Crown 8 on August 1st?
Up Corral-Down Palisades. Up White River/Down Skookum. Up/Down Sun Top?
8 a.m. start.
Buck Creek.
No cousin, but this is close... :)

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Borneo said:
Monte,
I was so bummed that you guys did that last weekend. Having given that a go from the other direction solo last year, it looked more doable than it sounded. Reminds me of the Yellow Hill-Jolly Mtn-West Fork fiasco last year. Even Hutton won't do that again.
Double Crown 8 on August 1st?
Up Corral-Down Palisades. Up White River/Down Skookum. Up/Down Sun Top?
8 a.m. start.
Buck Creek.
No cousin, but this is close... :)
I read Dave's report on his ride, oi.

Famn Damily stuff the next 2 weekends. I'll be in Port Townsend the weekend of the 31st, thinking of doing Lower Dungeness/Gold Creek and Mt. Muller on Saturday.

Just curious, have we met? I did the 'cousin' 2 years ago, I think.

Monte
PS: Bob, is that you? Just did some searching on the other board. Does your wife know you're on this board?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.