Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know Performance and Nashbar are owned by the same folks....
As you examine their catalogs, which both came to my house today, you will see the identical "house brand" products, and then notice that the prices are wildly different for the identical product.

Two examples.
Nashbar has a 26x1.25 slick for $19.95 while Performance has the identical tire for $9.99 and recently had it on sale for $6.97

A 9-led rear taillight at Nashbar for $19.95 and the identical item at Performance for $14.99 and comonly on sale for $12.99 and even $9.99

Some of this house brand stuff can be made/imported from overseas for almost nothing so sales are very easy to do while still making good profits.
I imagine Performance/Nashbar can purchase those rear tail lights in bulk with transportation etc.....and land then for about $2 to $3 max....
Same with the tire in my example.

Anyway, I'd never purchase a house brand product from Nashbar/Performance without checking both sites for sales.
And of course, if you have patience, you will usually find any Performance brand clothing for 50% off during the end of season sales.

Its like buying toilet paper. Do you ever wonder who pays the full price for TP

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
One other thing to note about the catalogs and the website...

Scour them and look at all of 'em closely. I saw at least in the latest catalogs I found two different prices for the same item. The RF Dues cranks and there was another one that slipped my mind. It was a decent difference too.

JmZ

Chester said:
We all know Performance and Nashbar are owned by the same folks....
As you examine their catalogs, which both came to my house today, you will see the identical "house brand" products, and then notice that the prices are wildly different for the identical product.

Two examples.
Nashbar has a 26x1.25 slick for $19.95 while Performance has the identical tire for $9.99 and recently had it on sale for $6.97

A 9-led rear taillight at Nashbar for $19.95 and the identical item at Performance for $14.99 and comonly on sale for $12.99 and even $9.99

Some of this house brand stuff can be made/imported from overseas for almost nothing so sales are very easy to do while still making good profits.
I imagine Performance/Nashbar can purchase those rear tail lights in bulk with transportation etc.....and land then for about $2 to $3 max....
Same with the tire in my example.

Anyway, I'd never purchase a house brand product from Nashbar/Performance without checking both sites for sales.
And of course, if you have patience, you will usually find any Performance brand clothing for 50% off during the end of season sales.

Its like buying toilet paper. Do you ever wonder who pays the full price for TP

·
Registered
155 Posts
Chester said:
Usually (from my experience), Nashbar seems to have better pricing online at least. I've bought that very tire for $6.95 from Nashbar before. Also, online prices always seem to be better than the paper catalogs.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
It is not just Nashbar vs. Performance. It's also Nashbar's website vs. the catalog.....sometimes there are different prices for the exact same item. Always check as many places as possible places before ordering.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's not just between the catalog and website either. I just saw the Performance Toesties for two different prices on the website depending on which link I clicked. I'd seen the sale price last night and wondered why the price had gone back up while everything else was still on sale. By clicking on a couple of different links on their pages I found one at full price and one still on sale ($14.99 vs $9.99).

·
Registered
244 Posts
It's funny how many different prices they can have for one item...

A few of years ago, Nashbar had a pair of sunglasses (I think they were Smith Sliders - too many pairs of shades over the years to remember) in their catalog listed for $14. Of course I called right away to order them and they said that they showed up in their system for like $45. I asked the lady to look at the latest catalog and directed her to the page where I saw the listing and she ended up giving them to me for the $14 price.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.