Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Longtime lurker on the MTBR Forums, particularly in Singlespeed. That stated, I've also spent quite a bit of time watching CL and eBay looking for a solid bargain in my size - a SS 29er that I can train and race (NUE and some more far flung endurance venues). As i'm losing patience and want to get to it, I'm considering the two common low cost entry points.

I'm curious which of these bikes (I would order as complete) would have the best opportunity to upgrade, lighten. My riding is all around Boulder, the Marshal Mesa 'system', and for decent sized chunks of the summer, Gunnison. I'd started looking at front suspension for both frames, but am now leaning toward full rigid.

Wheelsets, bars, seat posts, forks, in what order?

Thanks in advance for your insights as I see this is a common consideration, but I'm running out of time for the right deal to roll by, and would love to click a few keys and go. I have no meaningful wrench experience, but could handle the simple, eventual upgrades myself.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've been going back and forth myself. Do you plan on upgrading right away? If not, I'd say the Gravity would be a better bet since it has less no name parts. If you will upgrade right away then probably either would be good, both have aluminum frames/steel forks as a base

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't necessarily upgrade right away. Unless the brakes are a disaster...
In your experience, would forks be easier to come by for one or the other?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I've seen many racers on cheap bikes. Lots of conversion SS's as well. That said, I don't see either of those bikes as "upgrade worthy." I see them more as "Try it and sell it" type of bikes.

For the money, I think the used market produces the best bang for buck. If I were looking at something <$500, I would do a search for a Redline Monocog Flight. Sliding drops, butted Sanko tubing, , discs. Surly Karate Monkey or a Kona Unit would fit the bill as well.

I've found several bikes in the past using this search method on Google:

Type in "site:craigslist.org redline monocog flight"

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm not too experienced to be honest but I have done a lot of armchair research lol. I think they both have a 1 1/8 head tube, and from what I've been reading.. forks with 1 1/8 steer tubes are going to be less common compared to tapered steer tube forks. Not sure if that is in regards to rigid AND suspension forks. If anyone else is reading, please feel free to correct me if I am wrong :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
phsycle, thanks for the reply. I do get the lipstick on/polishing sentiment. I even share it. I plan to keep my eyes open for viable, other 29er single speeds, but thought I might get some quality time in quicker. I've had success in the past going the used route. I also had more time/patience then, where now I'm mapping to support my nine year old son's schedule as well.

I was thinking there are some minor alterations to those two bikes that could add a bit of longevity to their respective experiments.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I bought the Nashbar SS 29er couple years ago. Only addition I made was hydraulic brakes,that I found used on Craigslist. The bike has performed flawlessly! I finally decided to go SS full time and sold my Rocky Mountain Altitude. Since I added many upgrades mostly from Craigslist. First was a used Rock Shox Reba Race fork, a host of Carbon parts(stem,seatpost,bars&seat), and most recent a used Industry 9 rear wheel plus XT brakes. This bike has a durable frame and is very strong. Will be hard to get weight way down but I love it and it's been a great bike! Only thing mechanically I've had to do is lube chain.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Muxherdir, thanks for the reply. I have been following your participation in other, like, threads. Your experience is partly responsible for my leaning in this direction.

Edited to add: I also didn't catch any drama from the Nashbar side relative rear cog adjustment/tension issues, where there was quite a bit with the G29s.

·
Registered
91 Posts
MtbDilettante, how about you get the Nashbar, and I'll get the Gravity and after a while we can compare experiences lol :p

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
G29 dropouts: I think the issues were with the delivered tensioners? Inconsistencies, or they were bent?
As Muxherdir, and others, has mentioned, tensioners are inexpensive.
jcm, I'm starting to feel like we are wasting our time posting on this topic:) We just need to get on with it.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
jcm - Do you experience slipping without the tensioning bolt? I hated those things when I had a Jabberwocky. To take the wheel on/off, there was the extra step of undoing that bolt before you could slide the wheel forward to get the chain off. On the bolt on hubs, I have never experienced slipping, personally.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts