Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally ditching my old magura hydraulic piece-of-junk disc brake for a mechanical disc. I was aiming to get the Avid Mechanical disc (on sale for $46) but have been holding back because of the relatively high cost (after spending $20 on two levers (i only need the front brake), $ for cables and housing, and $ for the actual disc/caliper.

Then I saw the nashbar disc complete set on sale for the same (total) price of $65. I can't find any reviews on this site for these entry level discs and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them? As I look closer at the picture on nashbar, the rotors look like they're made by Tektro (which i've had bad experience with in the past on their V brakes).

$65 for a set with cables, housing and levers included seems like a good deal but am I going to sacrifice quality (compared to the Avids)?

I only need the front brake right now but wouldn't mind having a spare rear disc laying around for the future. So, be cheap and buy the nashbar set for $65, or the Avid mechanical disc/caliper (1) for $46, (2) levers for $20 and cable/housing? Thanks for any help!

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
What dogonfr said. This seems to happening an awful lot lately. People buying cheap products and then complaining about how much they suck. Or buyer's remorse, and trying to justify their purchase (read Shock Strength thread in DH/FR forum). Either way, it's very entertaining to read/taunt the thread creater.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.