Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just lloking through the new Nashbar catalogue/flyer, and see they have Nashbar branded disc sets for $85 including levers. Too good to be true? Has anyone used these?

I'm looking to make the jump from V to discs. Maybe my V's would be better than these!

That being said, what's the general consensus on V brakes vs. discs for general XC riding?

·
EDR
10,714 Posts
If you are gonna make the jump to mech discs, just get the avid's and be done with it. They have been, and are still the best mech brakes on the market bar none. And they are very cheap (as far as disc brakes go).

btw the nashbar brakes are like $64 online and the avids $85 or something like that. I've seen the avids cheaper at times from other online sources.

Do youself a favor, forget the nashbars- go BB7

for generall xc riding I don't see the point of switching unless you ride in mud a lot.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I went from Canti's to Discs so I can't say I've ridden V-brakes, but....I love disc brakes, and I rarely ride in muddy conditions. A good set of discs is a lot easier to maintain than rim brakes. One finger braking that is powerful and consistent. I'll never own another mtb without disc brakes.

But I think the Nashbar ones might suck. And crappy disc brakes are a real headache.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Decided to go for a RM Hammer instead

Now for something completely different....I've ditched the upgrade idea, since finding a new Rocky Mountain Hammer at my LBS. Sure it's gonna cost me a bit, but it's what I've really wanted for a long time.

Thanks for all the advise.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think the Nashbars are made by Tektro. Look at the writing on the rotors, it says Tektro. That being said, I almost always find some feature missing from Nashbar branded products that look like their name branded part. Like reach adjustment screws on Tektro reverse brake levers not on the Nashbar copies. So, there is usually a reason for the price. And this is an unbelievable price. $85 for both front and rear. That's half the price of Avids. Unfortunately, I don't know if it's worth it. Like someone said BB5s and BB7 especially are the best of breed.

One good thing about Nashbar is their return policy. I say get them, install them & ride them for a few weeks. If they suck, return them for the Avids. Then let us all know & post a review.

·
Registered
101 Posts
if you go the rout of avid mechanicals and by the way i like them but if you buy on ebay most of them are caliper, pads and disc so you will have to buy the levers and lines and front and back you should be able to but them all for about 200 maybe little less. Juicys are ok and have best feel but i learned i like mecahnical better and im not a hard core rider so that means i go alittle slower and that means i use more brake and trust me i use them and there is no fade and if your bike grows wings and you let it run then go back to the brakes there still as strong as when you started. takes a bit of tuning to get them strong and correct pull for me but i love them now. expect to spend 200 but thats was front and rear 185mm and flack jacket cables and avid seven levers with adjuster nob. good luck although my friends rocky bike has quite powerful v brakes and hes not changing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.