Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The search function isn't working, so there's probably another thread about this. Sorry if I'm late to the punch but I wasn't aware of this problem until a few hours ago, and others may be in the same boat.

In any event, if you've purchased anything from Nashbar within the past several months, CHECK YOUR CERDIT CARD STATEMENT! I just found out (on another thread) about fraudulent charges being made to credit card accounts after people purchased stuff from Nashbar. I bought a frame from Nashbar a little over two weeks ago, so I checked my statement online and found several fraudulent charges on my card. The charges came from the following:

PROFITGGL
WWW FEDGRANTUSA COM
NETWORKAGENDACOM

This is happening to a sh!tload of people. Just put "nashbar credit card fraud" into Google. Thankfully, my credit card company is investigating and issuing me a new card.

What really pisses me off is that Nashbar has known about this at least since early May and they haven't warned their customers and continue to use a compromised system to do business as usual. :madmax: Goodbye Nashbar…

·
How do I do that?
561 Posts
Did you notice this on the "helmut for $40"(not sure of the title?) or something thread? I just saw that and looked into this Trashbar fraud myself. After reading some horror stories, I emailed some of my friends who often uses Nashbar for they're basic needs to look over there CC statements.

I personally have not shopped Trashbar in years but I do frequent Performance quite often. Is it true that Performance Bike bought Nashbar back in 2000? It'll be interesting to know if thats true.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yep, that was the thread. The more I look into this, the worse it gets. Apparently their system was compromised internally and they've known about this for more than several months. It's unbelievable that in this day and age, a company that learns of a breach like this wouldn't inform all their customers immediately, not to mention continue using the compromised system.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
knock-knock...
577 Posts
daammmn. i had a little trouble with my card a while back, and I didn't know what it was from. I have bought from nashbar within the past 6 months too...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Is it true that Performance Bike bought Nashbar back in 2000? It'll be interesting to know if thats true.[/QUOTE said:
Yes. Performance owns Nashbar and has for many years.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
18,529 Posts

·
WNC Native
3,888 Posts
Yep, I got a call today from them. Glad I used Paypal App with a generated one time use card;) .

·
Registered
262 Posts
I received a phone call from them earlier today. It happens to every company, not just Nashbar.

·
bikingwino
27 Posts
Yeah....

My frustration is not the actual fact that it happened (even though it sucks) - but that it happened so long ago, and I never got contacted....

My wife's credit card is where we make most of our purchases (yeah, i can hide bike part purchases easier on mine!), and although it has never been compromised - we have received timely notifications of "potential compromises" from other companies in regards to security issues.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bikingwino said:
Yeah....

My frustration is not the actual fact that it happened (even though it sucks) - but that it happened so long ago, and I never got contacted....

My wife's credit card is where we make most of our purchases (yeah, i can hide bike part purchases easier on mine!), and although it has never been compromised - we have received timely notifications of "potential compromises" from other companies in regards to security issues.
That's exactly the point. They've known about this for months and did nothing to inform their customers until yesterday.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I doubt this is the size of the TJX companies credit compromise but that company just settled a lawsuit with several states to the tune of something like 49 million. The downside is that they did not have to pay customers directly, they just gave them a day to shop at their stores with a discount.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would like to say thanks for posting this subject. I have been lurking for months and just bought some items off Nashbar's clearance page. I saw this posting and called my credit card company to close my account. Thanks for saving me money and/or hassle!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
455 Posts
after getting calls from a car dealer about an auto loan I didn't ask for, an insurance company re quotes for a BMW I don't own and a college information company about "massage therapy" courses, I figured something was up last week. Not to mention numerous scam-like ccard offers through the mail. Gah. Finally tracked it down to Nashbar after seeing a complaints website with others having exactly the same fraudulent charges as I did - thankfully only about $40.

Put a fraud alert on your credit files with Experian etc for free - which will stop people getting any credit with your info without calling you and help protect your credit file.

I won't be shopping with Nashbar again. :madmax: :madmax: :madmax:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DaculaThrasher said:
I would like to say thanks for posting this subject. I have been lurking for months and just bought some items off Nashbar's clearance page. I saw this posting and called my credit card company to close my account. Thanks for saving me money and/or hassle!:thumbsup:
You're welcome! Information is power and I'm glad the word is getting out.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My homeowners insurance includes a credit monitoring service. Anytime *anyone* queries my credit, changes info, opens an account, etc. I get an email and I can log in and find out all the details. I'm starting to dig it. No red flags yet (and I hope it stays that way), but if anything happens I'll be able to take action immediately instead of finding out the hard way later.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts