Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
now i can't figure out between the Thule T2 or the Softride Access Versa ...

http://www.hitchsource.com/softride-access-versa-hitch-bike-rack-receivers-p-27794.html

http://www.thuleracks.com/product.asp?dept_id=8&sku=917

it is for a 1.25 receiver ...

my main concern about both of them is if it can handle a 29er bike ... and the overall stability / durability of them ... both seem to have a decent amount of plastic in it ... but the T2 seems like it would hold the bike a little better then the Versa ...

whats your thoughts on each? ... would likely just go with the T2 .. but with the 100+ price difference it is making me at least take it into consideration ...

not wanting another rack that contacts the frame it's self ... as i have several nice marks on mine from that already ... so prefer something that is going to hold it by the tires ...

·
user-created
3,174 Posts
Thule is tried and true but the Versa looks like a contender

I just put a Versa on my car today. I had some doubts when I ordered, but it's inexpensive so I thought I'd give a try.

Truth be told, I haven't driven anywhere with it yet but I did some extensive driveway testing.

Construction is on par with Thule or Yakima. In fact the Versa makes the other products appear quite overpriced. The bikes are secure, and don't 'flop' or lean. I really manhandled the bikes trying to break the plastic bits on purpose, to no avail. Realistically , these parts probably won't cause a problem. Moreover, the parts that are under load are all steel or aluminum.

I do have some doubts as to how well it would hold a skinny or flat tire (or just a rim), guess we'll see.

The Versa is lighter than the Thule or Yak and it folds up the smallest; it looks clean 'stowed' on my small sedan. The Thule at rest looks giant and clunky by comparison.

The lever operated release pin is totally functional, way better than Thule's yank-the-pin-out method. I thought it would be a goofy gimmick so I'm pleasantly surprised.

My only complaint is how far it extends from the bumper when unfolded, although that's true for all these racks, especially the 1.25" versions. On the plus side, the Softride looks easily modified to sit 5-6" closer to the bumper, which I'll try as soon as I get a new hacksaw blade. :)

Anywho, we'll see how it holds up to aggressive driving, but my feeling is that it will do just fine.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm how exactly do the side bars work that hold the tires? ... it doesn't look like they do much of anything other then keep the bike upright ... and just the little straps on the bottom are actually holding the bike in place ...

·
Registered
796 Posts
singletrack said:
I just put a Versa on my car today. I had some doubts when I ordered, but it's inexpensive so I thought I'd give a try.

Truth be told, I haven't driven anywhere with it yet but I did some extensive driveway testing.

Construction is on par with Thule or Yakima. In fact the Versa makes the other products appear quite overpriced. The bikes are secure, and don't 'flop' or lean. I really manhandled the bikes trying to break the plastic bits on purpose, to no avail. Realistically , these parts probably won't cause a problem. Moreover, the parts that are under load are all steel or aluminum.

I do have some doubts as to how well it would hold a skinny or flat tire (or just a rim), guess we'll see.

The Versa is lighter than the Thule or Yak and it folds up the smallest; it looks clean 'stowed' on my small sedan. The Thule at rest looks giant and clunky by comparison.

The lever operated release pin is totally functional, way better than Thule's yank-the-pin-out method. I thought it would be a goofy gimmick so I'm pleasantly surprised.

My only complaint is how far it extends from the bumper when unfolded, although that's true for all these racks, especially the 1.25" versions. On the plus side, the Softride looks easily modified to sit 5-6" closer to the bumper, which I'll try as soon as I get a new hacksaw blade. :)

Anywho, we'll see how it holds up to aggressive driving, but my feeling is that it will do just fine.
Any updates? I'm considering the Versa and would like to hear your review after using it.

·
user-created
3,174 Posts
It's done real well so far, even sideways around rocky hairpins. :)

The bike will stay in the wheel bails without the straps. The straps just prevent the bike from bouncing out of the bails or rattling. If you broke a strap you wouldn't lose the bike by any means. As long as the wheelbase adjustment is set right you could probably turn the rack upside down and the bikes would stay put.

Also, it works fine with flat tires. Still haven't tried a road bike.

Get one.

·
Registered
796 Posts
singletrack said:
It's done real well so far, even sideways around rocky hairpins. :)

The bike will stay in the wheel bails without the straps. The straps just prevent the bike from bouncing out of the bails or rattling. If you broke a strap you wouldn't lose the bike by any means. As long as the wheelbase adjustment is set right you could probably turn the rack upside down and the bikes would stay put.

Also, it works fine with flat tires. Still haven't tried a road bike.

Get one.
Thanks for the feedback!
I was wondering how it compares to the Thule T2? I've got a bunch of friends that have the T2 and I like how easy the bikes go in and out.

·
user-created
3,174 Posts
jmitchell13 said:
I was wondering how it compares to the Thule T2? I've got a bunch of friends that have the T2 and I like how easy the bikes go in and out.
The T2 will load/unload easier. It's also stronger, not that the Softride is fragile or anything.

The big advantage of the Versa is how small it folds up, and of course the price.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Sorry to throw another option out there:
Raxter Folding bike rack for 1.25" hitch
http://www.raxterracks.com/products/items/1_1111.html
http://www.raxterracks.com/index.html

I had a Sportworks Mod tray. After 3 1/2 years, the very thin square tube failed. Luckily I didn't loose my bike on the road. I searched and searched for a single bike hitch rack replacement and narrowed it down to modifying a T2 2-bike extension or the Raxter rack. I bought the T2 from REI but it just wouldn't work. It was HEAVY and the paint was quite cheap. I took a gamble on the Raxter and have been very happy ever since. It has 4 marine velcro straps, ability to hold ANY bike, very lightweight for removal, and very durable powdercoating.

BTW, I do not have any affiliation with Raxter. I just really like their rack. Purchase from http://www.1upusa.com/raxterrack.htm to get free shipping.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I considered all of these... the costs are really up there... But I also need to expand to 4..

This thread makes me want to get the Versa... but I know the Thule is quality stuff. Sportworks is a great maker/....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.