Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a race face single "no shift" chainring from chain reaction for my ss project.
what they sent me was a race face narrow-wide chainring.... :madman:
on the chainring it says its for 9/10/11 speed. I have a kmc x8.93 3/32 chain that I was going to use.
Will this chainring work for this application? I don't want my first ss to be something that may let me down while i'm out riding....
thanks!

· Registered
546 Posts
I use one on my SS....but I have been told 10 speed chains are stronger...also you have a better chance of getting a link etc from someone with a "normal" chain. I actually think the XX1 is probably the strongest chain right now.

· Premium Member
48,161 Posts
I ordered a race face single "no shift" chainring from chain reaction for my ss project.
what they sent me was a race face narrow-wide chainring.... :madman:
on the chainring it says its for 9/10/11 speed. I have a kmc x8.93 3/32 chain that I was going to use.
Will this chainring work for this application? I don't want my first ss to be something that may let me down while i'm out riding....
thanks!
It will work just fine. No advantage over a normal straight cut tooth ring (which DO shift well on a geared drivetrain).

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess its ok since they gave me the n/w for the price of a regular chainring.... :cool:
Now I have the option of going 1x10 if I ever decide to do so.
anyone have a similar experience with a kmc x8.93 chain?
The "link" that they gave me is super loose, I can put it together and take it apart by hand easily????:skep:

· Registered
2,188 Posts
...also you have a better chance of getting a link etc from someone with a "normal" chain...
Is that really an issue? I have never had to borrow a link from anyone, much less have a chain break on me. I do carry extra links, though. But I really wouldn't base my chain purchase on what other people are using...

I've been using the KMC Z610's for the past year on 2 of my bikes. No issues.

· Premium Member
48,161 Posts
I use one on my SS....but I have been told 10 speed chains are stronger...also you have a better chance of getting a link etc from someone with a "normal" chain. I actually think the XX1 is probably the strongest chain right now.
For singlespeed use, I will take a Wippermann Whitestar 108 any day over any gearie chain. Strong, durable, reliable, quiet.

· Combat Wombat
1,883 Posts
Is that really an issue? I have never had to borrow a link from anyone, much less have a chain break on me. I do carry extra links, though. But I really wouldn't base my chain purchase on what other people are using...

I've been using the KMC Z610's for the past year on 2 of my bikes. No issues.
Second that. In the last 24 years, I have personally broke just one Sram 8-speed chain. In that same time, I have repaired chains of three different riders out on the trail and watched two people not finish a race because of broke chains.

KMC Z610's are also all I have used in the last 8 years and despite their size and weight, I still carry spare links. Hard to justify not, considering those spares will fit in the same small box that I carry a couple patches and tube of glue.

· Registered
1,212 Posts
I use one on my SS....but I have been told 10 speed chains are stronger...also you have a better chance of getting a link etc from someone with a "normal" chain.
Not if you ran into me. I only carry a spare KMC 7.3mm link (fits both 610 and 8.83) and a SRAM 9sp link. 10 speed chains won't get much love from me until prices are equal.

anyone have a similar experience with a kmc x8.93 chain?
The "link" that they gave me is super loose, I can put it together and take it apart by hand easily????:skep:
It should be fine.

· Registered
851 Posts
Second that. In the last 24 years, I have personally broke just one Sram 8-speed chain. In that same time, I have repaired chains of three different riders out on the trail and watched two people not finish a race because of broke chains.

KMC Z610's are also all I have used in the last 8 years and despite their size and weight, I still carry spare links. Hard to justify not, considering those spares will fit in the same small box that I carry a couple patches and tube of glue.
Funny that, I've broken 3 SRAM 850 chains in 3 years. Powerlink broke each time. And yes, my chainline's dialed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.