Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a race face single "no shift" chainring from chain reaction for my ss project.
what they sent me was a race face narrow-wide chainring.... :madman:
on the chainring it says its for 9/10/11 speed. I have a kmc x8.93 3/32 chain that I was going to use.
Will this chainring work for this application? I don't want my first ss to be something that may let me down while i'm out riding....
thanks!

·
Registered
546 Posts
I use one on my SS....but I have been told 10 speed chains are stronger...also you have a better chance of getting a link etc from someone with a "normal" chain. I actually think the XX1 is probably the strongest chain right now.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will a 10 speed chain work with my chris king cog?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I ordered a race face single "no shift" chainring from chain reaction for my ss project.
what they sent me was a race face narrow-wide chainring.... :madman:
on the chainring it says its for 9/10/11 speed. I have a kmc x8.93 3/32 chain that I was going to use.
Will this chainring work for this application? I don't want my first ss to be something that may let me down while i'm out riding....
thanks!
It will work just fine. No advantage over a normal straight cut tooth ring (which DO shift well on a geared drivetrain).

·
Registered
75 Posts
I run a woolftooth narrow wide 32T front and CK rear cogs with a KMC chain - works just fine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess its ok since they gave me the n/w for the price of a regular chainring.... :cool:
Now I have the option of going 1x10 if I ever decide to do so.
anyone have a similar experience with a kmc x8.93 chain?
The "link" that they gave me is super loose, I can put it together and take it apart by hand easily????:skep:

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
...also you have a better chance of getting a link etc from someone with a "normal" chain...
Is that really an issue? I have never had to borrow a link from anyone, much less have a chain break on me. I do carry extra links, though. But I really wouldn't base my chain purchase on what other people are using...

I've been using the KMC Z610's for the past year on 2 of my bikes. No issues.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I use one on my SS....but I have been told 10 speed chains are stronger...also you have a better chance of getting a link etc from someone with a "normal" chain. I actually think the XX1 is probably the strongest chain right now.
For singlespeed use, I will take a Wippermann Whitestar 108 any day over any gearie chain. Strong, durable, reliable, quiet.

·
Combat Wombat
1,625 Posts
Is that really an issue? I have never had to borrow a link from anyone, much less have a chain break on me. I do carry extra links, though. But I really wouldn't base my chain purchase on what other people are using...

I've been using the KMC Z610's for the past year on 2 of my bikes. No issues.
Second that. In the last 24 years, I have personally broke just one Sram 8-speed chain. In that same time, I have repaired chains of three different riders out on the trail and watched two people not finish a race because of broke chains.

KMC Z610's are also all I have used in the last 8 years and despite their size and weight, I still carry spare links. Hard to justify not, considering those spares will fit in the same small box that I carry a couple patches and tube of glue.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I use one on my SS....but I have been told 10 speed chains are stronger...also you have a better chance of getting a link etc from someone with a "normal" chain.
Not if you ran into me. I only carry a spare KMC 7.3mm link (fits both 610 and 8.83) and a SRAM 9sp link. 10 speed chains won't get much love from me until prices are equal.

anyone have a similar experience with a kmc x8.93 chain?
The "link" that they gave me is super loose, I can put it together and take it apart by hand easily????:skep:
It should be fine.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Second that. In the last 24 years, I have personally broke just one Sram 8-speed chain. In that same time, I have repaired chains of three different riders out on the trail and watched two people not finish a race because of broke chains.

KMC Z610's are also all I have used in the last 8 years and despite their size and weight, I still carry spare links. Hard to justify not, considering those spares will fit in the same small box that I carry a couple patches and tube of glue.
Funny that, I've broken 3 SRAM 850 chains in 3 years. Powerlink broke each time. And yes, my chainline's dialed.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I run a woolftooth narrow wide 32T front and CK rear cogs with a KMC chain - works just fine.
What model of kmc chain u use? I asked because im planning on using the same setup combo but been told by somebody that kmc chain is not advisable on wolf tooth. just want some opinions. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
What model of kmc chain u use? I asked because im planning on using the same setup combo but been told by somebody that kmc chain is not advisable on wolf tooth. just want some opinions. Thanks
Are you sure it was Wolf Tooth that advises against KMC? Or are you thinking about the Absolute Black rings?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Is there advantage on using wolf tooth drop stop chainring than the regular chainring like MRP? I plan to use king cog and dont know which chainring to pair it with.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Is there advantage on using wolf tooth drop stop chainring than the regular chainring like MRP? I plan to use king cog and dont know which chainring to pair it with.
On a dedicated SS frame? No. Just use a ring that is not designed to shift.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts