Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm running a sram XX 1x11 with a wolftooth narrow-wide chainring. I get a pretty pronounced grinding while pedaling hard. It only happens when under power, usually when climbing. I first noticed it only in the 42 tooth cog, but now I hear it in the largest 4-5 cogs.

I made a little video so you can hear it. The ring is fairly clean, but by no means perfect. The chain and system have maybe 500 miles on them. I lubed the crap out of it and that doesn't seem to help.

Is this normal? Anyone else have this sound? Anyone know any fixes? I'm thinking of tearing it apart and cleaning everything and putting a new chain on to see if that helps.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Is your B limit screw adjusted? It sounds like your upper pulley is up against the cogs.
since its making the noise when he is not in his biggest cog, I don't believe B limit has anything to do with it. I suspect it is the narrow wide ring and will likely wear in, but tbh I have no personal experience with NW, so someone else can confirm or deny.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
did the grind happen before the NW ring was installed?
The drivetrain was all new when assembled, so I've never ridden it with another ring. I'll try out a different chainring just to see if I can tell for sure if it is the chainring or something going on in back.

I will check the b-limit screw again, but I think its OK.

I thought maybe it was the chainline, possibly the teeth of the narrow wide rubbing the chain , but it doesn't do it in the small cogs, I tried and I can really put a lot of power down when in the small cogs and it is silent. Its only the big cogs.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would try to readjust everything from zero. Check your limits. Bear in mind that that when in the high gear the center of the upper pulley is aligned to outboard of the small cog. On the low gear they should be aligned. Check your b tension. Xx1 it's very sensitive to it. Check that when you're loading up your suspension that you're still within spec. Fine adjust your cable tension.

·
Registered
8,672 Posts
The drivetrain was all new when assembled, so I've never ridden it with another ring. I'll try out a different chainring just to see if I can tell for sure if it is the chainring or something going on in back.

I will check the b-limit screw again, but I think its OK.

I thought maybe it was the chainline, possibly the teeth of the narrow wide rubbing the chain , but it doesn't do it in the small cogs, I tried and I can really put a lot of power down when in the small cogs and it is silent. Its only the big cogs.
My jockey pulley was grinding in the middle of the cassette when I switched from 34T to 26T in front. B limit screw needed a big adjustment.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I got the noise to go away by switching chainrings. When I put on an old worn out (non narrow wide) ring it was silent.

Then I tried putting the wolftooth on backwards to see if it was any quieter and try to get some more life out of it. It seems to work. It's definitely not making that noise in my yard anymore, true test will be out on the trail.

I looked at the ring and its not very worn, in fact the anodizing is still on some parts of the teeth. It looks like the front of the wide teeth is worn enough so that the wider part is grinding against the ends of the narrow chain plates. I know I need a pic.

Anyway it sucks because the chainring is only 7 months old and its not very worn, but worn enough to make that noise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.