Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks - I'm doing a race next month that is a combination of gravel fire roads and some pavement. I'm resigned to riding my full suspension Scott Spark (not my first choice as most people race with cross bikes or hard tails). I'm thinking that one way to make my rig a little more road friendly (and possibly a little lighter) would be to put narrower tires on. I currently have a DT Swiss XR spline wheelset that is pretty light and is approx. 20mm width and I'm running Hutchinson Toro/Cougar tires that are around 2.2 width. What is the narrowest tire that I could run on this wheelset and does anybody have examples of some tires? Am I right to assume that a narrower tire may make a difference for such a race and roll with less resistance on the pavement and be lighter?
Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
What day are we riding?
1,088 Posts
I am running Clement MSO tires 700x40 on Crest rims. Happy with them on gravel and pavement.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't think about CX tires. I have some Conti Speed King Cross tires (700x35) that may work. Do you think I could set these up tubeless? I know my rim is tubeless compatible but not sure if that tire would work. When looking at weight of my cross tires and what I currently have on my mtn. bike, I may save approx. 600 grams (little over a pound). Any other tire recommendations?

Do you think there will be much difference in rolling resistance between my mtn. bire and cross tire? Just trying to decide if the change in tire choice would really be worth it.

·
Rocks belong
5,272 Posts
Do you know if I can run the Kenda Happy Medium Tubeless?
Kenda does not offer a SCT sidewall in a happy medium.

I have Happy Medium Pro DTC 700x40c on my commuter/townie/bike path bike and am really happy with the them. Being a MTB'er, I still ride off curbs and on grass/dirt (especially when taking the dog for a run). They do just fine when you need to ride on gravel/hardpack. Roll quiet/smooth on pavement & concrete. I've done 20 mile rides in them.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Michelin Jet tires are narrower than the Kenda's at 700 x 30 only. I believe they also come in tubeless ready versions. They are popular with cyclocrossers. If you want a Michelin 30 tire that has a little more knobs, get the Michelin Mud tires.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts