Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting this here because, for some unknown reason, I respect the opinions of most endurance riders. So...I am looking for a pedal that has a center (of pedal) to outer face of crank measurement of no more than 5.5 cm. I ride singlespeed, lots of gravel and distances up to and over 100 miles. I have noticed that, compared to my road frame, my new bike has a slightly wider stance. This has caused (I am almost certain) a tweek in my right knee. Long story longer, I have found that a narrow pedal has helped aleviate my knee pain. I originally used egg beaters. Switched to an old pair of Ritchies (they suck) which were narrower.

So...measure those pedals and let me know which comes in the narrowest.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
906 Posts
In the interest of science, I just measured my SPDs. Both the PD-520 and PD-540 measure 2.5" from the center of the crank arm to the center of the pedal.

Edit: The measurement you actually asked for is ~2.125" or 54 mm

·
It ain't easy being Green
1,208 Posts
My Eggbeater Candy SL's are 57mm crank-to-pedal-center. Close enough, n'es pas?
As dekerfTeamST mentioned, Crank Bros will sell you shorter spindles if necessary... Their CS is _really_ good.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really appreciate the numbers...that being said, we all need to get a life if we are actually measuring pedal widths. I might just throw down for the shorter CB spindles. I've grown to really like those pedals and I would hate to add them to the unloved pile. Thanks Jeremy

·
It ain't easy being Green
1,208 Posts
Nonsense! All rider/bike interface points are crucial (particularly to us endurance masochists) and if 2mm makes your ride better, so be it!
Geek out, dude :thumbsup:

·
Registered
955 Posts
This is their response in regards to the length of these spindles.

Hello,

Thank you for your e-mail.
The short spindles are 4mm shorter than our standard spindles.

Thanks,
Crankbrothers'

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,760 Posts
jkcustom said:
So...I am looking for a pedal that has a center (of pedal) to outer face of crank measurement of no more than 5.5 cm. ... Long story longer, I have found that a narrow pedal has helped aleviate my knee pain.
I'm a big fan of narrow Q-factor, even going so far as to have a SS frame built to take a narrow road crank. The Ritchey Compact road crank has a Q-factor of 145 mm and then I mate them to Bebop pedals with the outer face of crank arm to center of pedal measurement of 5.3 cm. That way my lungs remain my limiting factor, not my knees...

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,420 Posts
They must have shortened their spindles cause I remember it being like 12mm shorter when I bought mine. Definitely a big help on lowering the q-factor. If you're riding SS maybe you have square taper cranks, if so getting a BB with a shorter spindle can help you lower the q-factor even more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts