Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Chariot Cougar 2 that I've been pulling my daughter around in on some local fire roads / DT. I really want to start pulling her on some singletrack trails, but the Cougar 2 is too wide to fit on the trails.

I know in the past I've seen options where people mount kids to top tubes/rear rack seats....what are some recommendations for taking my girl on singletrack? including single seat trailers.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
This is what you're looking for:

https://www.tout-terrain.de/cms/front_content.php
https://www.wiesmann-bikes.de/trailer.htm
Yeah, the site is in german, but bable fish'll tell ya what's up. I've seen diagrams of it, and its pretty freakin' cool. Suspened, cromo frame/rollcage so Jr,/Jrette is less likely to get hurt. Cost? well, I saw somewhere in there a price of 1650 Euro's. Find a willing welder/fabricator, and I bet it can be had for much less than that.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
That is cool looking!

Cougar 1 is obviously narrower (and I think that one has the suspension, right?).

A bike seat is another option, although certainly less safe if you happen to go down. The front ones (Centric Safe Haven makes the best) are good, but for singletrack may get in the way a bit. Better for just cruising. The rear would probably be better in terms of handling. I'm assuming you're thinking pretty mild singletrack. Endoing with a kid seated off the rear wheel - although probably difficult! - could be catastrophic!

Speaking of which, has anyone ever heard of someone endoing on a tandem? Introducing our new full suspension tandem... The Catapault! S

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the single wheel option that Martini posted...I still think the Cougar 1 could be a bit wide. But, the $$ is a bit more than what I want to spend.

I've thought about a rear seat and my concern is with safety and comfort for my little girl. I will stay mild with her on the back, but I'm not sure if any of the rear seat options will work on my 29er. I know of the Topeak rear seat....any others to look at?

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
~martini~'s idea is spot on for trail riding. You can also convert a BOB trailer by mounting a baby seat in it as I did. My kid dug going for rides in the BOB. The baby seat was bolted to the floor pan of the BOB and then secured around the rear wheel loop.

And when the kid outgrows this get-up, you still got a BOB utility trailer.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
ssmike said:
~martini~'s idea is spot on for trail riding. You can also convert a BOB trailer by mounting a baby seat in it as I did. My kid dug going for rides in the BOB. The baby seat was bolted to the floor pan of the BOB and then secured around the rear wheel loop.

And when the kid outgrows this get-up, you still got a BOB utility trailer.
the cardboard mud deflector is great. Now just build in some sort of entertainment unit so they can watch DVD's while you ride!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
One other option - Adams Trail-a-Bike plus their bike seat which replaces the regular seat on the tag-along with a kids bike seat (5 point harness and all). It has a seatpost attached that slides into the seat tube. I have one and it easily clears my 29er rear wheel. S

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
DSR said:
One other option - Adams Trail-a-Bike plus their bike seat which replaces the regular seat on the tag-along with a kids bike seat (5 point harness and all). It has a seatpost attached that slides into the seat tube. I have one and it easily clears my 29er rear wheel. S
We graduated to an Adams Trail-a-Bike shifter version after the BOB set up. It worked great too. We are now on a tandem together (or he rides his 24" single mountain bike).

In So Cal, that cardboard deflector was for the dust!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sounding good

DSR said:
That sounds interesting. Do you have a photo of the kids seat? How old was your kid(s) when you put them in the kid seat?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I don't have a dig pic. Adams may have one on their site. (Adams is owned by Norco, kinda funny!) If you can't find a pic, then just imagine a rear kids bike seat but instead of a bike rack underneath there's a seatpost and it fits into a tag-along seat tube. We actually didn't use this with our guys. We went to the tag-along when they (twins) were three, but ours had a seat with a back to it and a strap that went around their waist. That plus we mostly just used it around the neighborhood and on paths. If you can't find the rear tag-along seat, shoot me an email (dsr80304 at hotmail dot com) and I can get you some more info. We have a kids outdoor shop and we carry them, so I could get my digcam and post a pic that way. Take care, S

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.