Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who is racing this year? Will be my third year in a row since moving here 3.5 yrs ago from Indiana. Always fun and looking forward to it!

Also, any trail reports close to the race would be really appreciated...a Saturday report nets fresh cold IPA on me after the race (down low of course).

Ryan

·
Track Junkie
1,236 Posts
Trail conditions are fast and smooth. The recent rains have kept the trails moist, but never muddy. Bring your fastest XC rig and fast rolling tires to stay up front.

The worst of the conditions are the leafs that have fallen across the trail, but those should be pushed away after the first couple dozen riders.

Dust? No.
Poison Oak? Yes.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger and registering today, Clydesdale. I love most of the race course...but really hate pushing my bike up that hill. I'm guessing poison oak is in full bloom.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
No snow up here today. Singletracks are tacky. Very grippy.
There is a bit of mud when you drop down to Chiles Valley.
The creek is running a bit, but will not be in a few days.
New bridge on the One Mile.

Have fun - I'll be working.

Abreu winery is the tree killer up by the airport.
:madmax:

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Will be my first time racing this year and my first XC race (usually race Enduro/DH). So I'm curious what tires peps will be running? How steep and long are the climbs?
Tires - run rubber tires, round with knobbies. I've had success in the Clyde field running Nevegals. You can get away with lighter racing tires.

Most of the course is rolling. Everything is rideable. The biggest decent and climb is towards the end. Anguish Hill. Most people are going to be walking some part of this climb. The decent before the climb leads to a few wrecks too, so keep the weight back (I don't think you'll have an issue with this part ).

Poison oak is always an issue on this course. PO salad with PO dressing. The college gym showers are open to the racers. Take shower supplies to clean up after the race.

Stick around for the raffle. It's usually great.

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
Will be my first time racing this year and my first XC race (usually race Enduro/DH). So I'm curious what tires peps will be running? How steep and long are the climbs?
-If you have an XC rig, Cross Marx or Wolverines have worked for me.
-Do not bring the Trance w/2.5's
-Climb out is abit lengthy and challenging.
-Nothing beyond your capabilities. Up or down. Believe me.

Not that I know you or anything. ;)

~rabbit~

·
M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
8,610 Posts
NVDC was my first ever race back in 2011. Fun stuff (I won my first Cat3 race by a margin of 6 minutes, upgraded immediately of course), although I have taken 2014 off from racing. Lots of stuff going on (selling the house, trying harder to get a job, etc.). Was hoping to keep doing NVDC and HMC every year until I keel over (or until they ban mountain bikes completely from the face of the planet).

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Would be great to hear first hand how much if any rain comes down tomorrow up there.

Also, gonna be hot Sunday and those water stations aren't really helpful at speed. Would rather not carry two bottles but don think I can do it on one. Any place to have a friend give a bottle handup?

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
Would be great to hear first hand how much if any rain comes down tomorrow up there.

Also, gonna be hot Sunday and those water stations aren't really helpful at speed. Would rather not carry two bottles but don think I can do it on one. Any place to have a friend give a bottle handup?
1 on bike 1 in jersey
Water stations work pretty well ask for 2 before grab.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Today is the day that you really stock up on water. Drink more than normal all day.Remember to not flush after you pee; we are in a drought. ;)

Every year racers get beat in races that surprises them with heat for which they were not prepared. Bodies litter the trailsides and corpses drag their bikes up hills. It is ugly. Sunny and 80 degrees with humidity? So electrolytes become an issue. Keep that in mind for your fluids.

·
VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
1,159 Posts
Ha! Humid. You know how I know you are from the West Coast?...

You don't have to "let it mellow," convert to a dual stage flusher for $20: http://www.amazon.com/BlueSource-HY...96646438&sr=8-2&keywords=dual+flush+converter

Ryan, I have been debating the bottle thing too. I'm putting one on the bike, one in the jersey. You can also give the race volunteers a bottle for their feed on the climb out. You'll have to stop to grab it though... I'm with Mike and over-hydrating.

·
Track Junkie
1,236 Posts
Octane, "if you head up now, you might see this" ...is that picture from last night's storm?
Nah, that's from back in mid-Feb of this year. Taken at the Las Posadas entrance.

I did a quick recon ride this afternoon, and the trails are definitely wet from the more-than-expected rainfall Friday. Things should dry out nicely for the race Sunday, but be prepared for a few large puddles.

Poison Oak is out in force!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.