Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a last ditch effort...don't laugh too hard.

Can any body help to hook me up with a pair of WTB Nanoraptors, 29", wire or Kevlar?

Got accepted for Cheq 40, gonna ride my shiny new Racer-x 29er, liked the Klaws at 24/9, but not for the fat tire 40. Hoping my big wheeled bretheren might come through.

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After finally getting my hands on a pair of Nano's, (thanks entirely to Shark67's info), one of 'em has a broken bead. Never even rode them yet, noticed the wobble right away. Still got the talc powder on 'em!

So...

If anybody has a line on another Nano 29er, please E-mail or PM me. Warranty isn't gonna get rubber on that wheel before the Cheq 40. I'll through in a couple spotted cows as a lovely thank-you gift. :D

Thx

Chris

·
Registered
319 Posts
the pig

call erik at the Slippery Pig in PHX

Remind him what a hurry you are in, because he's a little slow on shipping, but I am pretty sure he has one.

602-263-5143

If you still can't find one email me via the link in my profile.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Shark, High Rustler sent me a used but nice wire Nano. So I now have a working pair. : )

I hope these will hold me until the next batch of, (2005), Nanos are available. Thanks for the help, both you guys.

·
No Reputation!
1,728 Posts
No nanos? Just say ginsu!

I wanted nanos for the Chequamegon FTF too but wasn't as hard core as you at actually gettin' 'em so I took the old ginsu TV knife to my IRC Mythos II's and got those pesky knobs off. I left the very outside line of knobs for cornering (and looks). This got 'em down to 580 grams and they are really fast rollers (actually I can't really tell the difference but they've just gotta be, right?). I think the real thing would be better but if you are in a jam and need'em now, this is an option. And the bead is probably a little more reliable than the PRE-2005 nanos too.< I've been using the mythos front as a rear tire>

Attachments

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Nice job! As my 6 Jones' seem way more indestructable than any of my 4 dead kevlar Nano's, I may as well sacrifice a perfectly good one to the Powerfile, and see if I get the thing to roll as well as get me up some short steeps. 500g barrier in sight?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It, (usually), never hurts to ask. It makes my day seeing that people can still be nice to people.

I've heard of people shaping and reducing knobs using a belt sander, but you are the first to use habachi style. Best of luck and a good time at the Cheq FTF.

·
No Reputation!
1,728 Posts
Yeah, lightweight plus that supple casing

Now I heard awhile back something about the knobs helping reduce punctures. I guess it kinda makes sense but I've hacked at 3 tires over the years (that is n=3) and not had problems. If you do it to the Jones, please post the weight as a mostly bald rear and "trimmed" front could be super fast and lighter too.

That powerfile really did the job on the knobs on the tires you posted awhile back, I bet you could just cut the knobs down to 1/2 height or something. Don't they do that kind of thing in auto race tires?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.