Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
lotto baby
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed in the "request" thread that people were referring to places by some funky names...

ex:
"Freakin Middle, downhill after Hunter Rock, ice cream hill"

in rock climbing, the first person to climb something generally gets to name the climb ("$h*t or go blind" at the gunks - one of my personal favorites)... naming a new climb/boulder problem is one of the cool parts of the sport.

i call the shorter loop at lewis morris (across the street from the pavilion/pond) as "the boat loop". the other night i heard it referred to as "gilligans island".

does anyone know how these names came about, and do they know of any others? any cool/funny ones?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Names

If I were to say anything I may get flammed. Or a nose bleed from being on my high horse.

BTW, Hunter Rock is really called 4 Bump. Ooops!

Bob W.

·
Registered
109 Posts
OK, the loop directly across the street from Sunrise Lake is the Upper Loop and you get there by going over the little bridge and going straight up the washed out trail or by making a left(at the 4 way) and doing the loop that way. If you cross the bridge and make a right(towards Morristown) and follow the gravel path and it bears to the left and makes a quick right onto a regular trail. This dumps you back onto another gravel path and here you go right. After a 1/4 mile, the trail bears right and turns into a very rooty single track, or you go straight. If you go straight it becomes a very muddy trail with some small logs to jump over and at the bottom of a washed out double track it bears right accross a couple of streams. The boat ( or Gilligans Island is down here). The guys on the wed night ride pass it because it is alot more fun section that the Pathroits Path rooty section. You can then take the trail onto a Deer Path(there was a deer skull nailed to a tree) and this will lead you back to Patriots and Whitehead Road (through the "Cooler").

·
lotto baby
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bob W said:
If I were to say anything I may get flammed. Or a nose bleed from being on my high horse.

BTW, Hunter Rock is really called 4 Bump. Ooops!

Bob W.
4 bump. if my job allows me any free time in the next decade i gotta get out to do a TM or a ride there just to know where something called 4 bump is. sounds like a rock that looks like a... meeting of two camels?

·
lotto baby
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
theferralkid said:
OK, the loop directly across the street from Sunrise Lake is the Upper Loop and you get there by going over the little bridge and going straight up the washed out trail or by making a left(at the 4 way) and doing the loop that way. If you cross the bridge and make a right(towards Morristown) and follow the gravel path and it bears to the left and makes a quick right onto a regular trail. This dumps you back onto another gravel path and here you go right. After a 1/4 mile, the trail bears right and turns into a very rooty single track, or you go straight. If you go straight it becomes a very muddy trail with some small logs to jump over and at the bottom of a washed out double track it bears right accross a couple of streams. The boat ( or Gilligans Island is down here). The guys on the wed night ride pass it because it is alot more fun section that the Pathroits Path rooty section. You can then take the trail onto a Deer Path(there was a deer skull nailed to a tree) and this will lead you back to Patriots and Whitehead Road (through the "Cooler").
im not a big fan of 'the upper loop', but the boat one you described is the exact one i am talking about. thats a fun little section.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hunter Rock

Near the base of ice cream,at the intersection in Allamuchy where the Scout property ends there is a large rocky mound that the trails goes over named Hunter Rock.

This was often a place were we would stop, re-group and chat a bit. One day in November, we stopped there, and as we were gabbin, one of us "relieved ourselves" off the side of the rock. Well, unknown to us, a hunter was perched on that side of the rock,completely out of sight. :eek:
Needless to say, he was not pleased, made himself known and sternly suggested we move on.

·
Registered
54 Posts
trailnimal said:
Near the base of ice cream,at the intersection in Allamuchy where the Scout property ends there is a large rocky mound that the trails goes over named Hunter Rock.

This was often a place were we would stop, re-group and chat a bit. One day in November, we stopped there, and as we were gabbin, one of us "relieved ourselves" off the side of the rock. Well, unknown to us, a hunter was perched on that side of the rock,completely out of sight. :eek:
Needless to say, he was not pleased, made himself known and sternly suggested we move on.
I guess I'll always know it as "4 Bump," but that's pretty good! BTW, in Jim Thorpe as well as Allamuchy, I can usually tell who rides with who by what they call the trails, even if I can't always remember the trail names myself...

Don
(What? Make a left on "Missed Shift," what the? Oh... click click click ...damn, oh yeah that left...)

·
lotto baby
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
trailnimal said:

now that is a great name story.

i guess mtn bikers really piss him off now...

where did ice cream come from?

...sorry i had to.:D

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
clarkenstein said:
now that is a great name story.

i guess mtn bikers really piss him off now...

where did ice cream come from?

...sorry i had to.:D
one day Bob W and another rider decided to race each other to the top of that trail, with the loser buying the winner an ice cream. i think Bob got the ice creamm but Bob can correct if I'm off a bit.

·
it's just baby phat..
865 Posts
mergs said:
one day Bob W and another rider decided to race each other to the top of that trail, with the loser buying the winner an ice cream. i think Bob got the ice creamm but Bob can correct if I'm off a bit.
funny.. i always thought it was I SCREAM!:eekster:

phattie:D

·
Registered
679 Posts
Ice Cream

Mergs close, oh boy hear I go again spoutting off...the concept is correct and Kris was in there. It was actually a guy by the name of Steve (Jumbo) that made it first. This was before I met Kris. So there you have it. Oh, BTW this was before the re-route of the trail. The re-route was done because of errosion issues. No not because of racing. Because, like many of the trails in the Park (and others) this one was an old logging road. Which was built down the fall line...which we all know generally leads to errosion. Enough of that ....

bob W.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Great trail names

Allaire state park;

the first part of the river trial near the hog bog, its called the coke trail, not becasue of any type of drugs, it was given that name becuase of all the old coke-a-cola machines left thier by the golf course owners( i guess throwing them in the woods is better then throwing in the garbage).
white trail off the main firecut, called the glass trail, yup you guessed it tons o glass at one point before it was cleaned.
not too sure of any others except for Tomacs drop..

ride on...

·
Make some music
740 Posts
Chicken Little

Freakin Middle.... I've heard it called Chicken Little by some..

But then there's always the "Secret Trail"

Get to Mahlon and you can ride the Cascade Trail and the Three Stone Trail the Devil's Staircase (also called the Devil's Sand Basket by some stoners.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts