Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,758 Posts
Cool

Somewhat common mod.
I knew a lot of roadies that mounted shifters like that on the inside of road levers before the advent of STI.

·
brain donor
437 Posts
Yep, this might be it (from FFB)

Brake Levers: XC 9000 BL-XC00 still a large motorcycle style lever, reach adjuster, , coated lever blade, black also available was the CL-XC01 which incorporated the index thumb shifter onto the brake lever body, 6-way shift lever position adjuster, index/friction right shifter

·
Registered
779 Posts
these are not indexed. they are friction.

·
clueless
436 Posts
Fillet-brazed said:
If I recall, that wasnt a modification. I think Suntour made those. They kinda copied the early WTB modification like Rumpfy has on his Potts.
... yep, i have a new set of these, xc sport written on the composite levers, friction. and right lever, xc power, indexed.

i'll swap them all for one of these bontrager original ssp frames or a cx frame in size L :D so, don't hesitate :p

ciao
flo

Attachments

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
vdubbusrider said:
these are not indexed. they are friction.
They do have indexed and friction mode (on the rear anyway).

The FFB listing is what I suspected they were too.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
floibex said:
i'll swap them all for one of these bontrager original ssp frames or a cx frame in size L :D so, don't hesitate :p
That sounds like a fair trade. ;)

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fillet-brazed said:
Jinx! :) Hey lets see some nice pics of the whole bike! Dont tease us.
Those might be a while in coming. It's in rough shape. A lot of elbow grease went into it last night, and it's in better condition that I had originally thought. Once I swap out the bars and related components, I'll repost. :)

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
laffeaux said:
Those might be a while in coming. It's in rough shape. A lot of elbow grease went into it last night, and it's in better condition that I had originally thought. Once I swap out the bars and related components, I'll repost. :)
So should I pull the Nitto drop bars out of the aluminum recycling bin then? ;)

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fillet-brazed said:
So should I pull the Nitto drop bars out of the aluminum recycling bin then? ;)
Maybe. How much flare do those bars have? More or less than the WTB style bars?

One of the things that I dislike about barcons is that I have a habit of bashing my knees into them. If the flare on the Nittos is too little I might ought to go with the WTBs. What do you think?

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
laffeaux said:

One of the things that I dislike about barcons is that I have a habit of bashing my knees into them. If the flare on the Nittos is too little I might ought to go with the WTBs. What do you think?
I'll pull em out and get the width and stuff. They def dont have as much flare as WTB bars. The Bridgestone version just kinda has the drops twisted on a vertical plane which ends up pointing the bar cons slightly out. I'll post some pics.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
laffeaux said:

The '87 Nitto dirt drop bars I just sold didnt have much flare at all. WTB's may be the way to go if your banging your knees. Funny, I didnt notice you were bow legged :eek:

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Those look like a good amount of flair to them. They're 3T?

You didn't notice my bow legs? Hmmm.... You need to pay closer attention. ;)

Actually it's from standing during climbs (I probably stand too much). When the bike gets to rocking, my knees catch anything sticking out. I had to remove the dummy tandem hoods that were on my XO because I bashed my knees into them on every steep climb. Now I only hit the barcons occassionally. :)

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Fillet-brazed said:
I'll pull em out and get the width and stuff. They def dont have as much flare as WTB bars. The Bridgestone version just kinda has the drops twisted on a vertical plane which ends up pointing the bar cons slightly out. I'll post some pics.
Here's the link to a post of the old Bridgestone MB-1 w/ drops showing the flare of the Nitto Dirt Drop bar. I rode these bars on a cross country trip and liked them fine for touring, but they just didn't feel "right" for off-road. I much prefer the WTB bar or the Ibis bar - good luck finding an Ibis bar though (although I know where 3 sets are but I ain't tellin').

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ssmike said:
Here's the link to a post of the old Bridgestone MB-1 w/ drops showing the flare of the Nitto Dirt Drop bar. I rode these bars on a cross country trip and liked them fine for touring, but they just didn't feel "right" for off-road. I much prefer the WTB bar or the Ibis bar - good luck finding an Ibis bar though (although I know where 3 sets are but I ain't tellin').
Why so secretive about the good parts? ;)

I think I'll try and find the WTB bar. The narrower Nitto bar might be "correct", but for ridding the WTB will likely fit me better.

The MB-1 brochure is really interesting. Thanks for point me back to it. I need to learn to use the "search" feature. I like their comment about the Dia Compe 982s being a "mechanic's dream." After setting-up the WTB Speedmasters and then setting up the Dia Compes, the 982s are the hands-down winner for easy to deal with brakes - not as adjustable, but 100% easier to work with.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
laffeaux said:
Why so secretive about the good parts? ;)

I think I'll try and find the WTB bar. The narrower Nitto bar might be "correct", but for ridding the WTB will likely fit me better.

The MB-1 brochure is really interesting. Thanks for point me back to it. I need to learn to use the "search" feature. I like their comment about the Dia Compe 982s being a "mechanic's dream." After setting-up the WTB Speedmasters and then setting up the Dia Compes, the 982s are the hands-down winner for easy to deal with brakes - not as adjustable, but 100% easier to work with.
No secret, really. They're in my garage.

If you can't find a WTB bar - or don't want to pay ebay prices - check out the On-One Midge bar . Word is also that WTB will also have a new drop bar in the future - probably more distant than near.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.