Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, anyone want to play? It may be a Jewel :thumbsup: or it may be Foolsgold.:eek: ...

No pictures yet, clues only.

1...I paid 10 times more for this bike than the other two I bought this week.

2...The seat tube is ovalized at the bottom bracket.

3...The brand of the bike is also on several of it's components.

any interest in continuing? Pretty vague, I know...

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
there arent many bikes that have ovalized tubing at the bottom bracket... In fact, I can only think of a couple. Is it TIG welded or fillet brazed?

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
GT's were ovalized and had their name on most of the components...saddles, bars, seat posts, grips, stems.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fillet-brazed said:
there arent many bikes that have ovalized tubing at the bottom bracket... In fact, I can only think of a couple. Is it TIG welded or fillet brazed?
It appears to me that the front triangle is fillet brazed with some very "tight" looking brazework. The bottom bracket is TIG'd. I'll post pics tomorrow of the areas in question.

The bike looks to be all original with Ritchey Force skinwalls and Shimano running gear. It was built in the USA, west of the Mississippi.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oops, no cigar.

gm1230126 said:
GT's were ovalized and had their name on most of the components...saddles, bars, seat posts, grips, stems.
Not a GT but one of the other bikes I picked up was.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,913 Posts
Fillet-brazed said:
EVERY bike that used a Tange Prestige Concept (or higher) tubeset is ovalized at the seattube/BB junction.

The fact the parts are branded to the bike makes me say mid-90s Rocky Mountain Blizzard, Altitude or Equipe.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
picture time

OK guys, here you are. The toptube to headtube, dirty headtube to downtube, the seatcluster, rear dropouts and seatstays. I couldn't picture the bottom bracket (fully tigged and ovalized seattube) as there are labels that would show.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sometimes...

Rumpfy said:
Motive Ground Pounder.
I've found at times it's better for some people to keep quiet...like when they're going to say something :rolleyes: .

Did you have to go out to your garage to compare the pictures to your favorite bike or did you recognize it from memory?

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
you sure that was made in the US? Dropouts look like mass produced work.

D8, Tange Concept? Whats that? I thought this was a vintage forum? ;) The only vintage bikes I know with an ovalized seat tube to BB junction are Ritcheys and Potts.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
and we have a ....

Elevation12 said:
Hi,

Scott?
WINNER!!! It's a late 80's, early 90's Scott Montana. Not a high dollar bike or high dollar components but very nicely made I think.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I picked this up for a neighbor, he wanted an inexpensive classy bike. I think this fits. It's very clean, needs nothing repaired or replaced. Looks to be very lightly used. I think I was wrong on where it was built, the tag says "designed and tested in Sun Valley", I misread it as being built there.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts