Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
textbook under achiver
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what model this proflex is?
I think I have it narrowed down to a 1995 model (could be a 1996 or 97 possibly).
serial # 038712.
Bought it for $80.00 yesterday for my dad (Hey, he is riding a simular vintage rock-hopper with a seized 1"shock right now....This is a huge upgrade for him). Everything works reasonably well.
Full LX of the day....Needs some v-brakes (even cheapos will be a huge improvement for dad cruising thru the RV park).

Is it a 555 or a 656?
doesn't have the interupted tube of the 755.....but the components are a near perfect match to the 755??? What is it?
I can't find a picture of this bike online after hours of searching.
Guess it didn't really matter until I started looking and couldn't get any answers.
The little rack that clamps on the seatpost is sweet!!! (Great for beer runs!)
Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim

·
textbook under achiver
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
slimboy is on the right track

just checked the shocks.....I does look like someone slapped springs in place of the elastamers.
anyone know what the claimed travel was on on these things. There seems to be a fair amount of stiction in the shock and fork. I'm gonna tear it all down and clean it up, see what makes it tick.
So, we think its a 756?
What did the model #'s stand for?

·
textbook under achiver
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
site with good spec info

Found a site that has specs on most bicycles, don't know how accurate it is.
Looks like this bike is probably a 756 with 755 spec components on it. 755 has an interupted seat post in most pics I have seen. The 756 shock stays mounted to the upper triangle like a traditional hardtail. Must not have been the deal in the mid 90's, because it looks like they went back to interupted seatpost for the 757.
Wierd.
Here is that sitehttp://www.airfreetires.com/Specs/Step2.asp?Brand=ProFlex

·
textbook under achiver
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
seems optimistic

After riding the thing and really looking it over....That seems very optimistic:p

They did have some really overthought (overbuilt) parts on these things.
Lots of machined and welded bits, with cables running into and through fancy welded passages.

Too bad the sum of the neat stuff didn't amount to a higher quality ride.

O.K. who am I to ***** about $80 bones.......:p

·
textbook under achiver
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Last number in the model # appears to be the year it was hatched!!!!

Havn't figured out the other digits yet.....
Maybe that "IS" the number of hours before the elastamers crapped out.

Hey my mantis profloater wasn't that much better really. Lighter and held together well.....but VERY flexy.....made it seem very fast, scary even!!!!

·
textbook under achiver
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
weird proflex models

I have seen pictures of the 755 and the 756 with interupted and non-interupted seat tubes???
Can anyone out there remember why they offered these models this way? Was there a cross-country (non-interupted) and freeride (interupted seat tube design)? I have also noticed that they tended to flipflop between models and years where they placed the swingarm pivot forward, above and behind the crank???
What was the travel on the girvin forks (let me guess, different models). Did the shock alone set the travel?
the 800 series had more travel, yes?
What about rear travel (interupted, non-interupted, diff shocks)...
I still have not pulled this bike apart....
Maybe when it warms up a little.....:D

·
Registered
264 Posts
Pro-flex explained

ameybrook is pretty darn close--I ask that same question of "what do the numbers mean?" When I bought a used Proflex 754 in 1995 for $1,000 (I road the heck out of it for 2 years and then sold it for $400).

Anyway, the numbers are as follows:

First number is the component spec--the higher the number the better the spec. My 754 had mostly DX with a little XT. An 85* should have XT/XTR. A 35* might have alivo.

The second number was always a 5

The third number is the model year. My 754 was from 1994. An 856 would be from 1996.

BTW--I replaced my 754 with a first generation SC Heckler and I can tell you it climbed about 100 times better!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.