Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pat is going to arrange a fitting prize for the winner I'm sure (well, it would be a nice bonus on top of the honor), but let's not wait for that and just come up with good names for Airnborne to pick from?

HERCULES It's a retired aircraft that played a mayor role at least in European civil and defence operations. I suggest it because the "friends of Hercules club" here in the Netherlands puts ads on TV to gather funds to keep the last one intact as a flying museum.
Also, Hercules of course is Zues' first born son, a halfgod with his own TV series. Hercules as a man was huge, muscular and invincible.
I think divine and muscular are good things to associate with a 29"er, what do you guys think? But don't let my excellent entry hold you from trying to better it

(Oops, I didn't check, hopefully Airborne didn't use that name up already, I'm not THAT familiar with their product range...)

·
Bicyclist
2,849 Posts
frankenbike said:
Wart Hog would be a great name for a gnarly bike. The A-10's official name of course is not Wart Hog it's Thunderbolt 2 and it's named after the first WW 2 era Thunderbolt which would be my choice but they already have a road bike by that name. As far as Hercules, I'm sure that all the folks operating these would be surprised to learn they're retired. ;) http://www.spectrumwd.com/c130/squadron.htm Hercules are also heavy, lumbering and slow but reliable too. :) (Former USAF C-130 avionics technician here.)

Airborne has always had a WW2 era motif to their model names. I wonder if they're ready to move on from there? If so, I recomend painting it green and naming it the Jolly Green Giant (HH-3 Vietnam era helicopter). Are they having an official naming contest for the new 29er anyway or what? I didn't see anything on their site about it.

http://www.airborne.net/eready/janette/home.asp

·
Always Learning
9,607 Posts
Cloxxki said:
Pat is going to arrange a fitting prize for the winner I'm sure (well, it would be a nice bonus on top of the honor), but let's not wait for that and just come up with good names for Airnborne to pick from?
First of all, if the frame is still a B-29, but simply made in aluminum rather than titanium - we can't be confusing the customer with a complete name change overhaul. Gotta K.I.S.S. it.

Something as pristine and basic as calling it the:

B-29-AL

Goes right along with the:

B-29-Ti

If the B-29 made in alumninum deserves an entire name change - then you gotta change the B-29 name frame made in Titanium as well. Otherwise - it gets too confusing. Nicht war?

BB

P.S. On the other hand, I could see the cool factor in owning a B-52. :cool: Cruising down the trail on a big wheeled two niner called the B-52 has a certain gusto to it.

·
Bicyclist
2,849 Posts
There was actually a B-29 A model aircraft too, so it's probably the only name that makes sense given that it's still a B-29, just done in aluminum.

·
Always Learning
9,607 Posts
tl1 said:
There was actually a B-29 A model aircraft too, so it's probably the only name that makes sense given that it's still a B-29, just done in aluminum.
Well, then it's solved. The B-29 A it is.

BB

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Hey! Not so fast there, Bruce!

I would like a crack at this! If we are stuck with WWII monikers, and we don't have to go with "B- 29", then I would opt for P-38, the plane called "Lightning". That way I could put what the Germans called it on the top tube- forked tailed devil! Ha! Now, if Airbourne could see fit to break ranks with the WWII era madness, then I would go with F-85 (Thunderjet), or maybe the venerable Phantom, which I cannot recall the model # designation for, right now. Ahh yes, a black ano Phantom! That'd be way cool! :D

·
Beware of Doggerel
665 Posts
Tu-4

In the late 1940s the soviets came out with a more or less exact copy of Boeing's B-29 the soviet plane was called the TU-4, my vote is for this name, it keeps the airplane theme.

Adam

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
i agree that staying within the "B-29" theme is cool.
how about the full name: "B-29 Superfortress" ?
that is more fun and more easily differentiated from just the "A"
that is my vote!
OGG

·
Registered
47 Posts
How about...

"Dubya"
Just kidding. Although I did see him in a flight suit once on an aircraft carrer. Something about mission accomp...must stop, getting too far off topic, political etc. Sorry.

·
395 Fat Tire Council
296 Posts
My suggestion is the B-26 Marauder. Not only was it a fantastic performing medium bomber, but it was also fast, sleek, and sexy.

Trivia Bonus:
-The Martin B-26 Marauder was constructed from a semi-monocoque aluminum alloy fuselage fabricated in three sections.
-It was ordered straight off the drawing board, no prototypes were built.
-The Marauder had the lowest loss rate of any Allied bomber, less than one-half of one percent.
-A half a dozen of these aircraft are still in use in Canada as water bombers for fighting forest fires.
-26 is the atomic weight of aluminum (actually 26.98, but who's counting)

·
Wood chips are stupid
779 Posts
How about "BUB" (B29's Ugly Brother) HA! Why don't we ask Pat?

akdeluxe

·
Registered
127 Posts
The bombs were dropped from the B-29s Enola Gay and Bockscar, but that's probably not a very sensitive name. My suggestion would be Boeing's name for the B-29: Superfortress used for the titanium version. Since the aluminum is a copy, name it after the Soviet aircraft copy: Tupolev Tu-4 (or just Tupolev).

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
jja said:
The bombs were dropped from the B-29s Enola Gay and Bockscar, but that's probably not a very sensitive name. My suggestion would be Boeing's name for the B-29: Superfortress used for the titanium version. Since the aluminum is a copy, name it after the Soviet aircraft copy: Tupolev Tu-4 (or just Tupolev).
shouldn't the name be catchy, or at least easy to pronounce? :p

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
It oughta be called the 'AL-29'. Keeps the spirit of the 29 reference in the name, while being very direct with what sets this frame apart from its titanium sister model. You maintain strong brand identity, it's a name that's easy to remember, easy to say, easy to ask for.

I win.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I still think my Hercules should win. Masculin, muscular, a plane, and rarely used in the bike industry, at least that I know of.

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Cloxxki said:
Therein lies your problem. You're trying to name a bike, not a plane. Who're you, the Wright Brothers?

Oh, and if anyone's thinking of submitting the name 'Kitty Hawk', I'm pre-emptively submitting that one, too.

Hah! I win twice!

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
this is startin' to get DUM. yeah, that's "dumb" mis-spelled like a true dummy! :D

with all of these name shenanigans, are we even going to win a prize if our name gets used? :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts