Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Curb Jumper
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, I just started gettin back in the game and rcently acquired a 2007 Diamonback Sorrento hardtail. Yes I am aware that its not the greatest frame to start off with, but budget-wise it was a great deal. Ive already put the fork through its paces and am deff. looking for an upgrade. I also have mounts for a disc brake system. Budget minded a little bit but for the most part I just want to build up this frame as best as I can until I can afford a FS. Other points of possible mod would be my crankset and derailleurs. Yes im pretty n00bish at this deal, but Ive ben bmx-ing for a good 4-5 years. any help and/or suggestions would be appreciated. thanks again fells.

cheers:thumbsup:

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I'd think you're better off saving up for a new bike rather than taking what you've got and changing nearly everything out as an "upgrade", which can easily cost more than a well-spec'd bike. Generally a good idea is to replace things as they need to be replaced (i.e. fail or wear out) and buy carefully so that those components are useful in the future.

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
I picked up a 2000 Diamondback Sorrento for my 14 yr old daughter last year from a guy who was selling one. He only had ridden it 3 times and parted with it for $120. Not a bad bike but with any bike, you should only operate it within what it was designed for. It was a lot better than the *ahem* roadmaster she had from Walmart that she never rode and was falling apart.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
I'd think you're better off saving up for a new bike rather than taking what you've got and changing nearly everything out as an "upgrade", which can easily cost more than a well-spec'd bike. Generally a good idea is to replace things as they need to be replaced (i.e. fail or wear out) and buy carefully so that those components are useful in the future.
I totaly agree with this guy. It just seams silly to put a 300.00 fork on a bike that costs 300.00 new. Upgrading wheels and brakes to discs will also cost you around 300.00 minimum. Only fix whats broken. Whats wrong with your fork? If your fork broke I'd consider a rigid fork as a replacement. Remember it's not the bike it's the rider that counts. I know guys on fully rigid singlespeeds that blow by me up and down the trails.

·
Curb Jumper
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well heres the deal. I got the bike for Christmas, as I was lookin for a bike but I didnt really have much time to shop around. I dont have 1k to throw at a bike but over time I would like to do some subtle upgrades. I just got back from Oleta in Miami. had a blast but I kept feelin my fork bottom out, and hucking off some kickers I could here the clang of the fork fully expanding. I took it off some gnarly like 5-ft kickers n a coupla 3-5ft drops. I dunno, i guess im looking for more than I got with this bike, but im gonna have to deal with it for a while til I can save up for another. thanks for the help guys, keep it coming.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Also picked up a Sorrento 2007 a few weeks ago, to get back into mtb/fitness. I think I may have a different version of the Sorrento, im assuming your from the US [dB]Will?

The Sorrento I picked up is http://www.diamondback.com.au/files/sorrento.pdf

Got it for what would be $US464 ($AU600 on sale from lbs, normally $AU900 or just over $US600). Definatly happy with it so far, did a fair bit of research and for the price it couldn't be beat. Interesting to see how much the same model of bike differs between countries/regions.

·
hardcore on the bunnyhill
159 Posts
I'd probably just wait until something breaks to upgrade too. Once you start upgrading just for the heck of it, you will never stop....trust me I've been there and my wallet is now always empty.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
You think you're saving money by not buying the 500+ dollar bike, but your wrong. Good research and an online retailer will net you a really long lasting bike for mabye 600-700. Pretty good at 500.

·
Curb Jumper
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i kno it wouldve been better to wait, but it was late in Dec. n i wanted it by xmas, so i just went with it. a lil regret but not much, still a solid all-around bike, but ive been using it in such a way that would justify the new parts.

·
Curb Jumper
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
haha, yah i plan on breaking the sh*t out of it beofre summer comes around. hopefully by then ill have money for, atleast, a used Transition. but can anyone give some... helpful(?) advise as to, say, if my fork does break. what do you reccomend for my frame.Im also lookin for new cranks, the b/s plastic ones on my bike WILL go soon. kind of like preventative mantinence. fix it BEFORE it breaks on the trail, ya know.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Work on riding big but SMOOTH. A smooth rider can ride the nasty stuff and not break things.

I recond a steel rigid fork, they are mostly bomb proof. If you have to go with a front shock look for a dirt jump fork that has steel stantions.

NO WAY your cranks are plastic. Maybe your talking about your pedals? Try some cheap platforms from welgo or nashbar. If your are real trail rider and not just a jumper try some clipless pedals. Don't worry about spending some money on clipless pedals and good shoes casue you can always take them with you to your new bike. For real trail riding clipless rule!

·
Curb Jumper
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the replies. I like having my suspension. Ive also been doin some urban drops (loading docks and the like), and the suspension makes abig difference. thanks for recommendin the dirt jump fork, the thought hadnt even crossed my mind. Also, sorry, I didnt mean my CRANK is plastic, but the "cranks" that go from the main sprocket to the pedals, those are plastic. anyone know of any decent ompany that supplies steel or alloy replacements that will fit a Shimano main crankset?

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
[dB]Will said:
Also, sorry, I didnt mean my CRANK is plastic, but the "cranks" that go from the main sprocket to the pedals, those are plastic. anyone know of any decent ompany that supplies steel or alloy replacements that will fit a Shimano main crankset?
This is not posible. There is no such thing as plastic crank arms. Plastic pedals, yes, but never plastic cranks. Not even a kids tricycle would have plastic cranks. Have another look. It's probably aluminum that is coated. It may look like plastic but it's really metal.

·
Curb Jumper
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok, i may be, sctratch that, probably, AM wrong, they just felt n sounded like plastic components. regardless, id like to have some nice solid pieces, if not for just the look. I dont want to waste money, i guess ud say, but its like anything else that I would happen to own, I just have to modify it. so again, any suggestions?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.