Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking my Fisher Caliber (4" front travel, 3" rear) to Northstar in August to ride the blue trails and a couple of the easiest blacks. In case you're not familiar with the terrain, there are a lot of medium-sized fairly sharp rocks and a bunch of loose dirt that's almost as fine as moondust. Weird stuff.

I'll probably try riding lifts one day but most of the time I'll be pedaling up the fireroads instead.

I have Ignitors on it right now but I was considering getting a slightly more all-mountain set of tires. What do you all think would be the optimal tires?

Thanks
Alex

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
aabbas said:
I'm taking my Fisher Caliber (4" front travel, 3" rear) to Northstar in August to ride the blue trails and a couple of the easiest blacks. In case you're not familiar with the terrain, there are a lot of medium-sized fairly sharp rocks and a bunch of loose dirt that's almost as fine as moondust. Weird stuff.

I'll probably try riding lifts one day but most of the time I'll be pedaling up the fireroads instead.

I have Ignitors on it right now but I was considering getting a slightly more all-mountain set of tires. What do you all think would be the optimal tires?

Thanks
Alex
Optimal? WTB Dissent

Stout if you can find them

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Those all sound good, and I went to my LBS to see if they were in stock. They weren't, but the shop had a Nevegal 2.2 so I picked that up and mounted it. It looks comparable, I think. It's a lot more tire than I've ever ridden before... I'm eager to try it out.

I raised the bars slightly and dropped the seat slightly too. Hopefully I'll sorta blend in with the gravity crowd, a little bit. :)

·
rider
2,356 Posts
aabbas said:
Thanks guys. Those all sound good, and I went to my LBS to see if they were in stock. They weren't, but the shop had a Nevegal 2.2 so I picked that up and mounted it. It looks comparable, I think. It's a lot more tire than I've ever ridden before... I'm eager to try it out.

I raised the bars slightly and dropped the seat slightly too. Hopefully I'll sorta blend in with the gravity crowd, a little bit. :)
I find the sidewalls on the Nevegal to be flimsy. Warping hard on it will tear the side knobs loose as well. But then, I'm a big guy riding a much burlier bike than you, so YMMV...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
29erchico said:
I find the sidewalls on the Nevegal to be flimsy. Warping hard on it will tear the side knobs loose as well. But then, I'm a big guy riding a much burlier bike than you, so YMMV...
Thanks. I'm 170# and not too aggressive. I tried out the Nevegal on my local trails this weekend and it felt plenty sturdy, but Northstar rocks are a whole new level. Still, I bet this tire will just laugh at my weaksauce mountain biking, and that's fine with me. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts