Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
orthonormal
5,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of buying a place in Bentonville and have the green light to get another bike with the idea that i'd keep one bike there and the other two here with me. I love the idea because travelling with a bike sucks and i'd otherwise be doing it too often.

I currently have a 2020 Enduro and 2021 Epic Evo. The easy answer is get a 2022 Stumpjumper for Bentonville because there are several in stock in my size less than a mile away. But I want to give consideration to other options. So fire away!

·
orthonormal
5,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since it sounds like you are a specialized fan boy, I'd recommend the stumpy evo. "Pedals like a stumpy, descends like an enduro". Or so they say… lol.
Lol. I do like their recent bikes and local availability is good but it's too close to the Enduro.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I'm really confused now. Is the Stumpjumper a mile or two away from you now or a mile or two away from you in Bentonville? Is an Enduro too close to the Evo if they are two thousand miles apart? And if you are going to live in Walmart's bike park don't you need an Aventon?

·
orthonormal
5,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm really confused now. Is the Stumpjumper a mile or two away from you now or a mile or two away from you in Bentonville? Is an Enduro too close to the Evo if they are two thousand miles apart? And if you are going to live in Walmart's bike park don't you need an Aventon?
Very good questions! I suppose I shouldn't be overly concerned about the bikes being too similar if they're going to be kept so far apart.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I had the new stumpy, it was sick. Hard to go wrong with that bike as the 'one' bike.
stumpy evo was pretty awful in comparison but i really doubt you need more than 140/130mm in arkansas anyways. Spur is also pretty fun, kinda miss mine.

·
orthonormal
5,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you're buying a bike to ride in Arkansas, wouldn't it make more sense to ask about which to buy in the Southeast/Midsouth - GA, TN, AL, FL, MS, LA, AR subform rather than the Norcal forum?
I know the Norcal people better, this forum gets way more traffic, and availability of bikes in Santa Cruz and the Bay Area is much better than NW Arkansas. But i'll get around to posting a similar question on the Southeast/Midsouth forum.

I brought my Enduro with me to Arkansas in May and definitely want something lighter and less travel for the amount of tech climbing I did there.

·
No Clue Crew
7,777 Posts
Tech climbing? Are we talking about the same Bentonville?

I’m recently back from a week there and rode every system. I was on a 150/130 29er (Revel Rascal), which was great. There were a bunch of times I wanted my Spur, though.

Unless you plan to spend most of your time shuttling Leatherwood Lakes or Fayetteville, I’d say any modern 130-140 bike would be an excellent 1-bike choice.

Where did you buy?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Lots of good dealers in the NWA area. Don't get stuck on the specialized(I have no probs with them). Now might be the time to try something new. I'd agree that something in the 130/130 range would be perfect. My 160/142 seems like overkill for most of the stuff I ride there. Unless you are hitting the big jumps and drops at Leatherwood all the time, an Enduro or a Firebird is overkill IMO. I would actually really like to pick up a solid DJ bike for my trips there just for fun.

·
orthonormal
5,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Tech climbing? Are we talking about the same Bentonville?

I'm recently back from a week there and rode every system. I was on a 150/130 29er (Revel Rascal), which was great. There were a bunch of times I wanted my Spur, though.

Unless you plan to spend most of your time shuttling Leatherwood Lakes or Fayetteville, I'd say any modern 130-140 bike would be an excellent 1-bike choice.

Where did you buy?
I found some good tech climbing at Coler Perserve. Copperhead Rd was my last trail of the day from the hub on my way back to the South entrance and climbing the rock ledges was just wearing me out. It wasn't all that hot but the humidity kicked my butt. I also found bits of more natural, raw trail hidden around Slaughter Pen but not much. Mostly connector trails in/out of neighborhoods that may or may not be an official part of the network. But IIRC, you're in Phoenix, so Bentonville doesn't have much tech climbing at all from your perspective.

The house is a little under a mile NW of the downtown square.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.