Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
build

Here it is. Pretty stoked with how it turned out. Will try and get a quick ride in this evening, then off to Tahoe for the week. Some snow/rain is expected but the weekend is looking really nice.

Some observations:
Frame weight - 7.8 lbs. size large (raw should be about 7.5)
BB w/ 2.5 Maxxis DHF up front. fork at 160mm, and ZS headset - 13.6"
Final build weight - 31.00 lbs
This has to be one of the best looking Large frames out there.

Still have to trim rear brake hose, get a chain guide (still undecided), and choose stem length (50-70).

Build went pretty smooth. The BB threads needed some chasing as well as the FD mounting holes.

Big thanks to DustyB and the Knolly Crew. DB kept me informed when things didn't look so good, and Noel delivered when it counted. I hope Knolly can put 2011 behind them and return to the market stronger than ever. If this frame is any indication, 2012 should be a killer year. Hopefully Noel comes back to the boards when he is ready. I thin we are all ready for him.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is that a Solo air up front there, or a coil?

Looks great, if you get a sec can you give us the full build specs?
Fork is a Solo Air set at 160mm.

Build Spec:
* Frame Size & Color: Large, Blue
* Rear Shock: Fox RP23 w/ Kahima
* Fork: 2010 RS Lyrik Solo Air currently at 160mm
* Brakes: 2012 XT
* Shifter: SRAM X.9
* Cranks: XTR 970 22/34/bash
* Chainguide: undecided
* Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.9
* Pedals: Point 1 Platforms
* Stem: Thomson 50 or 70
* Handlebar: Easton Havoc
* Seatpost: AMP adjustable
* Saddle: Chromag Lynx
* Bottom Bracket: XT
* Chainring: 22/34 Blackspire
* Cassette: 11-32 XT
* Headset: CC ZS 40
* Grips: ESI
* Front Tire: Maxxis 2.5 Minion DHF Exo
* Front Rim: Stan's Flow
* Front Hub: Hope Pro II
* Rear Tire: Maxxis 2.35 HR
* Rear Rim: Stan's Flow
* Rear Hub: Hope Pro II 142 X 12

* Future changes: Chain Guide, Stem, Tires, new adjustable post

*Rider Setup
*Weight: 185 lbs
*Height: 6'1"

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When are you coming to Tahoe? Shoot me a PM, Tahoe is my stomping ground.
Heading up to the South Shore early tomorrow morning. Probably ride there mostly. Thinking of heading over to Downieville on Monday.

Do you ride up North mostly? I'll shoot you a PM and let you know what our schedule is like.

Tim

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
G-Air,

Bike looks great!

Is your fork a tapered or 1 1/8" steeerer tube? I will be running a 1 1/8" on my 36 and have an external cup (lower) on order. Wondering if I should change that? Seems like your BB height is pretty good with the zero stack.

Cheers,
EB
Fork is a 1 1/8" steerer tube. the BB and HA feel good around the neighborhood. I'll be able to give a better review in a few days.

With the 2.35 Maxxis Knolly specs on the bike I think the BB would be right around 13.5" with the zero stack.

TG

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Looks like perfection!

Ok.... I've always been very keen on the idea of the Chilcotin, but until I saw your bike all dressed up in the blue with the white fork it was just interest. Now I have a serious NEED to get me one of those.

Holy cow. Nice. Nice. Nice.

Anxious to hear your report after the Tahoe trip. Keep us posted.

31 lbs! That's lighter than my 5 spot.

Please post more pics.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Yes, very nice. I am looking forward to reviews as more of them get built up. KRob the Chilcotin frames weigh about the same as the DW 5 Spot. My Large 5 Spot frame was 7.6 lbs with RP23 and a L Spot is comparable to a M Chilcotin.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.