Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
pedal up
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dean...

that's like bunny hopping into a mythical rainbow coloured unicorn with zoro the boy wonder ridding upon it !!!

a 2010 Chilcotin spotted in these here hills with the man himself in tow, sporting a CCDB Air to boot. (i can only imagine this thing as setting a completely new standard for air suspension).

and Donny! all of BC's youth should bow to the GodFather... couple of decades back the Man travels down to SoCal on a whim, whips their post-clunker asses and brings home the cup!

Donny, Lyle and people like you were the reason i tried to build up a bike that would maybe just perhaps possibly give me a fight'n chance at keeping your mud flinging rear wheel somewhat in sight.

full contact,
T

On 1-Oct-11, at 9:45 PM, Dean the Man wrote:

Bike Nerdology:

Todder, you ought to have been there in Squamish - Donny and I rode all over some of my old favorites: The Far Side, The Farther Side, Lost Loop, Really Lost Loop, Root 99, Mountain of Phlegm, Endo ... and some I've never been on: The Sweeter The Barry, Meet your Maker, Face of Dick - we put some miles on - I went down hard on Meet Your Maker but not a (big) scratch.

After the ride we were astoundingly interested in beer, so we went to The Shady Tree. Out in the parking lot, I see a DeKerf Implant on the back of a car - this is the bike that Donny has ridden for the past 10 years, stops people dead on the trail, and a bike that I've never seen another before this. Behind the Implant was a Knolly Chilcotin. When we are seated and enjoying our pints, I tell Donny that the Chilcotin ought to be his next bike, and a guy at the next table says, "Yep, you should buy one, but I'm a little biased" - none other than Noel - the founder of Knolly - he and a crew were charging in Squish as well. The ensuing hour and a half was fascinating learning of everything from cutting-edge bicycle metallurgy to the finer points of hydro-forming, to the reasons Taiwan is the only place to have a cutting edge bike built, to his long time relationship with Nichols (Ibis Bikes), Steve Potts (Potts Bikes), and Chris Cocalis (Titus & Pivot Bikes) ... he thought the Pivot Firebird was the best bike Cocalis has ever designed, he was riding a Firebird with Cocalis just last week after interbike in Vegas. When I mentioned that a good friend had a Knolly Delirium... he says he not only knows your bike, but your bike and the long delay in getting the frame was a tipping factor in moving the manufacture of his bikes to Taiwan. Below is a pic of his friend's 10 year old Implant (Donny loved the spec on this oldie but goodie) and his fresh from Taiwan - first run Taiwanese Chilcoton on the same rack - below is a picture of a shock that will not be available on the Chilcotin (or on any fuggin' bike) for 4 to 6 months - developed in cooperation with his engineers - he told me that he and Chris Cocalis tried it out on the Pivot Firebird and it preformed incredibly well and will more than likely be a 2012 offering with Pivot Firebird as well. What an afternoon.

I have to admit at this point that Donny, fully 12 years my senior, laid waste to me on more than 50% of the climbs (I was in the game, but wow he is strong), and on his 10 year old hard-tail he walluped me (on my 7g ride) good on near all the descents ... he's, at times, untouchable - as the title of Lance's book goes, It's Not About The Bike - Donny's the man.

Dean

Attachments

·
pedal up
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
100 words or less...

[shortened up the text slightly. at 1:00 in the morning my buddies email struck me as poetic gold for all those waiting for their Chilcotin - or any other uberbike. was one of those days out there that had to be shared]...

so anyway biobike, having gone through that wall of text, what rides better, the Chilcotin or the HT with the 180mm fork?

A one liner will suffice.
having missed yesterday's ride and never mounted either - i'd say Donny on either :)

this guy - and all his colleagues from those early days of our sport - literally formed its roots. when SoCal was carving out the beginnings - check out the movie "Klunkers" Mountain Bike History - guys like Donny, Chaz, et al. were also living history in BC. it was a North American west coast phenomenon.

i hate to admit it but "It's Not About The Bike"
god, i'd love a 2012 Chilcotin.

ps. i bet Noel's white Chilly is that one seen at Interbike... sans all the nice twenty6 bling!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Closest thing is this North Shore freeriding

Noel wrote it - i threw in some pictures of him and Kishi
Thanks for posting that link. I really enjoy looking back at the roots of mountain biking. Brings back memories of bombing down old creek beds back in Southern Ohio on rigid MTB's. (1991) First one to the bottom of the hill wins! At least two bad crashes per ride, per rider. :D Yes...we wore helmets...

There are some great stories on the Ibis website as well. I forgot about all of the trials riding back then.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The rear on the Dekerf Implant looks huge, what kind of tire is it and how much clearance is left?
It's a crummy 2.25 Kujo with not much clearance between the stays. I am pretty much limited to running rear tires that are smaller than 2.3".

Sorry no close up pics of the Implant. Any detail shots would show how absolutely beat that bike is. Desperately needs a new paint job and could probably use an updated drivetrain.

Haven't been riding the Implant as much these days as I've been putting time on a Podium and an Endorphin instead. But it still is my favorite bike for steep, techy riding. It just gets outgunned when the speeds pick up.

Cheers,

D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.