Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Hard funkin´ Kraut
900 Posts
I haven´t ridden a Scythe yet, it´s a Big-Mountain-Bike, built for serious Freerideabuse and maybe not the optimum to be an Allrounder.
In my opinion a Rune or Wildcard are the better ones to do it all ...

·
Nucking Futs
377 Posts
It could be done though. I've seen one or two with hammerschmidts and a light-ish allmountain - light freeride build. I would say it could be worth it depending on where you are and what the terrain is like. If the only way possible to enjoy a good local freeride trail on a 180mm bike is being able to climb it to the top yourself go for it. It's not going to be a light build though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i would be mostly using it for doing downhill freeride stuff but would also like to do some singletrack aswell so would it be ok for climbing or is it just a push up bike
im in scotland in the uk

·
Registered
94 Posts
it can be done, but its never going to be a fun all-mountain capable bike even with a light build (which is pointless as the frame and any 180mm fork is going to be somewhat heavy)

if you have good fitness and setup a Scythe with Totem or Fox 36 180mm and dual chainrings, and tubeless compatible wheels you could keep the weight sensible allowing slow and steady climbing but then really enjoy the descents

I used to ride my Scream everywhere (which was somewhat heavier than the Scythe) but had crazy fitness and kinda got used to riding it...long climbs like up to the top of Glentress Bike Park from Peebles village

perhaps look at the Rune with a 180mm fork (Fox 36 is about the lowest crown to axle of that travel class)?

·
Registered
94 Posts
the Scythe is a heavier hitting DH / FR machine with slacker geometry and will work better for steeper terrain, although the Rune has a big advantage in having virtual pivot suspension with active braking (the Scythe's faux-bar will stiffen under heavy braking, causing the rear wheel to skip)

the Rune has 1.5" HT like the Scythe, so you could use a Rune with a Cane Creek Angle-Set to knock the HA down to 66 or less, but bear in mind the Rune will not take the same abuse as the Scythe, Rune is a lighter all-mountain frame whereas the Scythe is the spiritual successor to the old Banshee Scream and will therefore take a serious beat down without flinching!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
hampstead bandit how much would it cost to build a bike like this in the picture with fox 180mm rc2 fork and hope v2 brakes the parts dont need to be the same but simalar i like the red wheels im 5 foot 8 would a medium frame be ok also dual chainring at front
going to buy either a scythe or rune in the next 2 or 3 months hopefully

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have my Scythe set up w hammer schmidt, stans flows, tubeless, w 2010 66 ti. Havent weighed it but Im guessing its in the 38 lb range. I climb National trail 3-5 days a week here in Phoenix area and bomb back down with my buddies. You could def build a lighter all mt bike but probably not a stronger one.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
kickass28 said:
hampstead bandit how much would it cost to build a bike like this in the picture with fox 180mm rc2 fork and hope v2 brakes the parts dont need to be the same but simalar i like the red wheels im 5 foot 8 would a medium frame be ok also dual chainring at front
going to buy either a scythe or rune in the next 2 or 3 months hopefully
Go to dropnzone.com - that is where that pic was taken. Great shop with killer deals.

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
It wouldn't be too hard to get it below 36lbs and still have it be plenty strong.

Just look for light but strong parts

Here is how i would build it if i wanted to be able to pedal it uphill

Rock Shox Vivid Air
Fox 36 float 180 rc2
mavic 721 rims to hope hubs with dt comp spokes
2.5 muddy mary snakeskin or maxxis dhf exo (both like a 1.5 ply tire)
Shimano SLX cranks (stong, light, and cheap)
1x10 gearing with a 32t up front (or even 30t if you have steep climbing) and 11-36 rear
X9 or X0 rear der
x9 or x0 rear shifter
sram 1070 cassette
sram 1091 hollow pin/link chain
e13 lg1+ or MRP g2 SL
wtb devo ti saddle
Thomson seatpost
point one podium pedals (or if you are on a strict budget then deity, kona's, etc will do)
deity black label bars (or any other lightish bar of your choice)
syncros FRIC or point 1 split stem
Any odi grips
Angleset headset for adjustability
Formula "the one" brakes (or if on a budget avid elixir 5's)

And then all the other small parts as well. Would probably be sub 36lbs or pretty close to it. Could handle abuse too. Most of these parts are somewhat budget as well. a few more pounds could be dropped if you went all out on the build.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
RBrady said:
Calhoun, I'm running the Fox RC4 that came with bike. Soon to be replaced by Cane Creek double barrel w Ti spring.
nice, when my frame arrives I have a CCDB to put on it. hopefully you get it set up right, because I will probably be bugging you for settings :thumbsup:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I spent a season on a scythe and really loved how it handled the big stuff, but when the lift season ended I began to go into aggressive all mountain mode and the scythe was a fantastic bike but limited me quite a bit. My build was strong and the bike came in at 41-42lbs, it seemed a little silly to me to build it up with any lighter parts since everything would just start breaking if I used the frame for the riding style it was intended for. I sold it and now ride a hardtail, but a Rune is next years dream bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I finally got my Scythe all built up and put some hard miles on it. I do believe that the Scythe is an awesome all-around bike. It is easy to build them up heavy, and I would say that is the only downside. If your legs can handle it the bike is great climber, and of course the descents are even better.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.