Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks im looking to buy a mythic/banshee rune in the summer and was wondering if any you guys have one with fox van 180mm forks on it.I was just wanting to see how it rides with the big forks on it or would i be better with the 160mm forks. I will be doing a bit of downhilling with it aswell so what do you guys think

·
Registered
123 Posts
Rune with a 180mm

I have been riding a rune for about 7 months now!
very awesome bike!
I purchased a fox 180mm float to go along.
Im using a flush mont headset so, it has zero stack or close to zero on the top and bottom!
But the bike felt weird so I lowered the float to 170mm and with the zero stack thats about the same as a 160mm, I love it!

Here is my Rune build!

Rune banshee 2011 from Nicholas Poetker on Vimeo.

A new Rune for 2011!
Lets Ride!!

The fork in the video is the fox 180 float lowered to 170mm with the flush mount!
RideOn!

Oh and how does it ride?

Just for the Thrill! from Nicholas Poetker on Vimeo.

February 7, Sunday 2011
Gumball and I had 2 hours to ride before I had to attend
Jax's drum festival.

RideOn!

Jodoji hour from Nicholas Poetker on Vimeo.

After 3-4 weeks off due to an injury it felt good to go for a little ride!
RidEOn!

Icy windy from Nicholas Poetker on Vimeo.

RideOn!

A new Adventure from Nicholas Poetker on Vimeo.

A new Trail I found new Ajimi!
The snow was melting and the sun was out!
2-2-11

http://www.pinkbike.com/v/181853/l/

Just a couple of videos I put together on my Rune in the last month!
You will love the Rune and 180mm will have a great DH feel but 160 or 170 mm like mine is wonderful for any trail!
I mean it any trial it can take it!
RidEOn!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the reply guys. so do you think i would be better buying the 180 float fork instead of the vans for the adjustability. also does the bigger fork slacken the head angle

nicholas nice bike you have there thats the 2011 frame you have there thats the one im going to get i think the orange bits on them are cool
nice vids to

·
Registered
123 Posts
Kickass thank you man!

I think my frame may be a 2010 but its new for me for 2011, hahaha
The orange bits look really awesome in person man!
The matt black finish too is really cool!

I too was going to buy the vanilla but my shop owner directed me to the float as Im a big guy and ride as hard has I can. He said the float has infinite adjustability and it does. First the shock is super plush, just like a coil so even out of rocky trails I feel like Im on a coil.
I have hear the same for the X-Fusion as well.
The best part is you can adjust the spring with a little air to be as plush or firm as you like.
I like my forks a little on the firm side so I run it with only 15% sag or so!
For me thats 85psi for a 205lbs dude!
Also, the float can be adjusted to any length. I made spacers out of PVC piping and lowered it to 170mm, its super smooth for anything. You can ride it a the full 180mm and be just as happy. Here in Japan the trails are really tight twisty and steep to I need the bike to be more agile than slack being able to turn sharp berm-less turns, ahahhahaha
With the float you will be able to match the forks travel to any bike in the future as well.
With the coil it should be a super smooth fluid fork but the travel is set at 180mm.
I assume you can lower it the same way as long as there is leeway with the coil spring and not pressing too much preload. hahha

I hope my rambling helped!
RidEOn!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are the forks easy to lower nicholas or do you need to get your bike shop to do it

the floats would probably be ok for me im only about 140lb so there would be loads of adjustability

·
Registered
123 Posts
Fox fork!

Yes, the float is easy to lower if you have suspension experience.
I can lower or raise it in about an hour taking in easy.
you have to first drain the oil from the top air chamber which is very little its just lubricant oil but is very thick
1- take off the top cap and dump it out. Then put the top cap back on!

2-then you must drain the oil from the bottom of the fork which is just underneath the air chamber.

3-you unscrew the bottom nut a little then lightly hit it with a rubber mallet and the damper rod comes loose.

4-take of the top cap again an the whole assembly will slide out.
I compress the fork and push the rod out with a long skinny dowel.

5-you will see the air piston which is black and below that the top out spring.
you just need to slide down the top out spring and add the amount of spacers you want to lower the travel.
Fox sells them in 20mm increments.
I made mine out of pvc an they work very well.

6-put the fork back together as you took it apart and add the right amount of oil to lube the system.

7- clean the fork and mont her up!

8- if all this seems too much take her to your local authorized suspension mechanic! hhahahahaha

it really is somewhat simple and great fun learning how your suspension works!

RidEOn!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.