Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Holy Chromoly!!
542 Posts
Its a plug/valve. When you unplug it, the frame will deflate.

I have no idea what that thing is, perhaps it was a bit taller at first so a pump could be clamped between the front section and that thingy? Seeing the length available between the 'thingy' and the headtube/toptube junction a pump could be fitted.

Actually nice find there Bushpig. What size is it? 19"?

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
its a pump peg... for any of the numerous old frame pumps that the valve exited ninety degrees to the barrel shaft (which was just about every brand). Zefal was probably one of the first to stick an extra hole in the valve end of the shaft, inline with a hole in the center of the pump handle, and clip on mounting adapters for running a shortened pump under the top tube. Anyways, with the peg on the frame, you'd slip the valve over it and tighten it to the locked position and it'd grip it like it was a shraeder valve on a tube.

As to which model... wasn't the tantalus the custom order tig-welded model (where the thunderbolt was the custom ordered filled-brazed model) ?

·
VRC Hound
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DeeEight said:
its a pump peg... for any of the numerous old frame pumps that the valve exited ninety degrees to the barrel shaft (which was just about every brand). Zefal was probably one of the first to stick an extra hole in the valve end of the shaft, inline with a hole in the center of the pump handle, and clip on mounting adapters for running a shortened pump under the top tube. Anyways, with the peg on the frame, you'd slip the valve over it and tighten it to the locked position and it'd grip it like it was a shraeder valve on a tube.

As to which model... wasn't the tantalus the custom order tig-welded model (where the thunderbolt was the custom ordered filled-brazed model) ?
Thank you DeeEight. Tantalus sounds right.

·
VRC Hound
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cycleshark said:
I thought all tantalus where lugged... please checkeroni ---> www.mtb-kataloge.de
Sharky: the catalogues only go back to 1990 and this frame would be an 88 or 89. They definitely made a Tigged Tantalus. In 1990 DeKerf made 'em. Probably made mine too :)

·
Holy Chromoly!!
542 Posts
bushpig said:
Sharky: the catalogues only go back to 1990 and this frame would be an 88 or 89. They definitely made a Tigged Tantalus. In 1990 DeKerf made 'em. Probably made mine too :)
Chris started out in '91 though ;)

·
10,939 Posts
In the 1990 catalog it says he was making the team tantalus and that the race team had spent the summer testing the new versions of the team tantalus, the blizzard and stratos. Now 1990 is also the first year that the majority of the rocky models (except for the fusion) went to wishbone stays, before that they were all traditional fastback stays. As to lugs, the only point of a thunderbolt or tantalus frame which involved a lug was the one around the seattube connecting the toptube to the stays. My 88 thunderbolt has the same lug, the same dropouts and the same long seattube extension above the toptube. As the tantalus and thunderbolt were custom order models, you could get all sorts of attachments on them for different things. That pump peg was something its original owner wanted. My thunderbolt has a braze on for directly mounting a hite-rite to the extended seattube (instead of the seatpost QR as was normal) as well as a chain-hanger on the right seatstay. Its U-brake studs are fortunetly mounted on the top of the seat stays. I'd say this tantalus is probably an 87 or an 88.

·
Holy Chromoly!!
542 Posts
Okay, this frame kinda intruiged me, so I did some more research. D8, do you have the catalogs of '87-'89 perhaps? I have the impression those cover quite a bit of info. I have some scans here, that I got from someone over at the German Classic board. After a small tip from someone I noticed something interesting.

The '89 catalog cleary states the Tantalus to be the 'standard top tube frame' , where as the Thunderbolt is the 'sloping top tube frame'.

The '88 catalog shows a Tantalus with a standard top tube. With both the Tantalus and Thunderbolt being 'fille brazed'. The '89 catalog makes this into tig welded or 'filled brazed' Anyway; here the two scans. Based on this information, Im thinking it would be a '88 or '89 Blizzard. The pump peg remains a mistery though... All the other details hint towards the Blizzard. There one other thing that came to mind.. if it would be a '87 frame... would the dropout spacing than give some hint? I mean; '87 was 6spd, 130mm, right?

1988:

1989:

·
Holy Chromoly!!
542 Posts
Could '87 be the final puzzle piece? You mentioned it before indeed...

Any input on that dropout spacing Bushpig?

·
10,939 Posts
Measure the frame... rocky has always done sizes as center BB to top of seat tube. The catalogs list the sizes and the thunderbolt/tantalus didn't do half inch sizes.

As to the dropout spacing, my 88 thunderbolt is 135mm. Rocky was actually a bit ahead of the curve in the dropout spacing changes. Norco was still using 126mm road spacing on lower end mtb models in 1990/91 when everyone else had gone to 135mm for 7 speed mtb. Anyone remember what year shimano went to 7 speed ?

·
Holy Chromoly!!
542 Posts
'89m when XT II came out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.