Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently acquired a 2002 Mt Tam frame. It needed new skin desperately. Yet, I really did not have the cash. Then, I found a local autopainter who once worked for a company painting bike frames. His eyes lit up when I told him about my rigid 29er project He said give him "artistic freedom", $100 and a 2-3 weeks and I would have a "1 of a kind bike frame" (he refused to paint my new albeit unsightly origin 8 carbon fork). I got a little nervous when he mentioned something about sparkling like a bass boat. I said do it. However, in my haste to get it painted I forgot to get the seatpost diameter and seat tube outer diameter (for binder bolt). Any help would avoid slowing down the artistic process.

TIA

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
I am pretty sure the seatpost diameter is 31.6. Translates to a 34.9 collar. I got my collar for my 03 XCal29 from price point. It was their store brand non'quick release clamp.
Greg

·
Registered
330 Posts
36.4mm

If it is a Gary Fisher frame that uses a 31.6 post (the first generation 29'er frames), then it uses a 36.4 mm clamp. I guess the aluminum at the top of the seat tube is thicker than some other frames, as my Niners that use the same size post use a 35mm clamp.
Hope makes a light bolt-on clamp in that size that gives you many color options.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.