Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on a quest looking for driveshaft-powered (chainless) 29er or 700c rim bike with an internal hub and disc brakes, and although I've been to the wikipedia site many times, I checked back there today and found a new link at the bottom, and clicked it. It took me to a site that showed several beautiful bikes, seemingly in production, but with no price tags or way to purchase them. I sent them an email, but while I wait for a response, perhaps someone else can help me dig up a little info. My two best guesses so far are (A) the site and product line are brand new, and ordering info will be added soon, or (B) it is a money laundering front for the Japanese Yakuza.

Site url: https://www.shaftdrive.com.tw/

·
Registered
351 Posts
How did you know such a thing existed to look for it. I knew that there have been chainless bikes in the turb of the century but I havent heard of it recently much less with disks and an internal hub.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tron said:
How did you know such a thing existed to look for it. I knew that there have been chainless bikes in the turb of the century but I havent heard of it recently much less with disks and an internal hub.
I am obsessive compulsive. I spend dozens of hours online every week researching technology, and I personally feel that bicycle technology is not as advanced as it should be. My dream bicycle is a 29er with shaft drive, Nuvinci internal hub, and either disk brakes or roller brakes front and back. An electric assist motor up front with the batteries hidden in the down tube would be a godsend.

·
Registered
229 Posts
A30N said:
I am obsessive compulsive. I spend dozens of hours online every week researching technology, and I personally feel that bicycle technology is not as advanced as it should be. My dream bicycle is a 29er with shaft drive, Nuvinci internal hub, and either disk brakes or roller brakes front and back. An electric assist motor up front with the batteries hidden in the down tube would be a godsend.
Electric assist motor ? I think what you want is already made. Its called a moped. :D

·
ARCHQUEST
152 Posts
Shaft drive bike are popular in urban cities like Tokyo, New York, Paris were poeple commute to train stations or to work and chains will mess up their dress, pants etc. The last bike with no top tube is design for women commuters so if they wore a long skirt it allow them to ride it like a scooter. The fenders, fog lights and bike rack is a tell tell sign that these bikes are targeted to a vary different clientale and not the typical enthusiast.

Folding bikes with 20" or smaller wheels are also vary popular with urban outfitters, like Bike Fridays.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I forgot to mention that the representative I emailed got back to me a few days ago. They manufacture the bicycles and ship them to distributors in containers with 40-100 bicycles each. So in order to get one, I need to find some distributor willing to sink some cold hard cash into this deal. I sent some emails to other shaftdrive bicycle distributors, here is a response I got back from Dynamic:

Thanks for your interest in our bikes. The bike we offer that is most similar to the Konig is thre Tempo. The Tempo uses the Shimano Nexus Premium 8-speed hub (same hub as Alfine, but without disc brakes), 700c wheels, 7005 aluminum frame, front suspension fork with lock-out, etc. We do not currently offer this model with rear disc brakes. We have no plans of ordering bikes from Fullness. Why would we? Our shaft drive is a superior product and our bikes are better made and better supported.

What makes me laugh is that both products are made in taiwan....

·
Thinking outside the box!
6 Posts
*bumping an old post*

Were shearching a year ago for this chainless solution.
Quite intrested in it , altho you will lose some power
compared to the normal chain.

Trying to experement with some new technology's / new or mixed combo's
allway's had a intrest for me.
But unsure how long it will last, for example: on a hardtrail or even on
a Ridged, with the internal hub ofc.
And yes it will have way less gears then the ordenairy one with a chain.
But still ill will give it a try; mabe even on a bmx haha! ah well back to the drawings board.

Found this website couple months ago: http://www.beixo.eu/en/webshop/menu/slim

Its perfect for a city bike, but for the terrain/jumps.. still unsure about how it will go, so i am heading to a dealer soon to get some more information/details about the whole cardan shaft idea for a bicycle.

Hope more people are looking in to this (just out of intrest) and share their experiances with it :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.