Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new Stumpy FSR Comp Carbon and received a package of protective film along with it. The down tube film kit was installed on the frame when I got it and whomever did it (either shop or Specialized) did a great job on the install. There is a few more pieces I would like to install on the frame but am not sure if there is any special trick to getting it on and looking good.

I have installed a screen protector on my phone and remember they included the spray and a squeegee. Any suggestions on what is the best way to install the film with the best results?

I have seen the film referred to as "Mylar film" so I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also there are a few pieces I'm not sure where they go so I was hoping someone might have some idea.

·
Rent this space for $
3,641 Posts
If it's a sticky-back decal type material, you could likely spray the film AND the previously cleaned surface with a light soapy water from a spray bottle. This will allow you the leeway to move the decal around till it's positioned correctly, then squeegee the moisture out and leave it in the sun to cure. You might experiment with a sacrificial piece to make sure the adhesive is compatible with the soapy solution.

I just practically plastic coated my entire new Stumpy FSR frame with the 3M automotive vinyl. It applies as above but requires the spray application of alcohol/water to set off the adhesive. It's on for life unless you peel it and you literally can not see it. Stuff is phenomenal but pretty expensive in comparison to what you get from Specialized.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great thanks for the suggestions!

I have most of the film pieces figured out for where they go on the bike but I'm not sure about this one.

Any thoughts? I though on the steer tube but not sure?

Film Cutaway.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts