Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
And He was Not
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had this bike for a week or 2, and I just got a chance to ride mine today. Got in a good 2.5 hour ride on mixed conditions. The bike has a good feel to it, not nearly as springy as my SIR Niner but just feels nice and solid. BB are has very little flex. Handling was good felt nice at high speeds, Tight single track seemed a little better than my Rig, but not as quick steering as the Niner. I had NO problems hoisting the front end up. I like the playful feel of this bike kinda felt like a Inbred I demoed for a week . Geometry is pretty good by my standards. Cable guides leave a little to be desired and the downtube clearance is depressing. I still had to do a little filing on the tab to get it to clear with the BIG race. For $250.00 sheckles this is a nice frame with a good solid ride quality.I call it a good deal. I think it would seve big boys well also. I thought this build would come in a little lighter but I don't guess it is too bad.

Sorry for the dirty pictures, We see way too many spotless bikes.

Bike specs: 24.8lbs, Medium Frame
Specialized Resolution Tires converted to Stans
Bontrager Rims
CHris King Hubs
14/15 Dt spokes
Alloy Nips
Sram PC 68 Chain
Boone 19 rear cog
Surly 32 ring
Old White Industries 5 arm cranks ( Great Find)
Un 72 BB
Hayes HFX 9 Brakes w/ Avid rotors
Mary Bars
Oury Grips
King Headset w/ 7mm Ventanna race (4mm won't clear)
Reba set @ 80 mm
Salsa Clamp
RaceFace Post
WTB Laser She saddle Ti Rails
Thompson 100 mm stem

Attachments

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Posting dirty 29'er bikes on here is forbidden. Please remove all traces of the trail before posting.

We cannot permit any 'dirty' pictures on this forum.

Thank you.

Your Friendly 29'er Forum Mod.

R. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
WarPigs said:
Enoch, do u have a regular, comprehensive preventive maintenance program for your bikes?
Yes, he does.
He gets a new frame every month, and then he inspects all the parts as he swaps them from frame to frame to frame.....
:)

Nice Zion Jerry. What's up with that funny looking boat anchor thing on the front?
I put a PW EBB in my frame last night so maybe I can get that elusive 32 X18 gear that was beyond the reach of the stock EBB. I haven't tried it yet as I was getting dirty looks from the significant other last night for spending too much time with the "other woman". I also mounted up my IF fork. Going for a crack of dawn Wilson's ride Saturday.

·
Registered
590 Posts
How you liking those middleburns? Other than the incredible wear marks from ONE real ride!
Wondering if I gain anything going from Truvative SS cranks other than Bling?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Dicky, you mentioned that these frames were a smoking deal considering their weight and all, what does the eccentric frame weigh in your size? Enoch, in your size?

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
ajbuilder said:
Dicky, you mentioned that these frames were a smoking deal considering their weight and all, what does the eccentric frame weigh in your size? Enoch, in your size?
The small came out to @ 5lbs, with the original EBB. I could have this bike down to under 23 lbs pretty easy with what I have parts-wise, but a practical rigid build would probably be closer to 24+. Best riding $249 frame I've ever been on (might have something to do with the big wheels/parts).

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
None said:
How you liking those middleburns? Other than the incredible wear marks from ONE real ride!
Wondering if I gain anything going from Truvative SS cranks other than Bling?
As far as stiffness goes I can't tell the difference between the Middleburns and the Race Face X-Types I had on the Dean. I knew I'd be getting some wear marks on the black cranks, but no matter. I have a bit of an inward heel thing, and if you add a little mud you get a sanding block. At least it's not carbon.
If your Truvativs are X-Type I would think you would lose the bearing drag. At the very least I know I don't have to carry chainring bolts when I go riding.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Enoch said:
the downtube clearance is depressing. I still had to do a little filing on the tab to get it to clear with the BIG race.
From the pics it appears that you are running a Reba SL (internal floodgate adjust). That is the lowest profile Reba out there, and you still needed the big headset race. Dang!

·
Registered
70 Posts
teamdicky said:
Yes, he does.
He gets a new frame every month, and then he inspects all the parts as he swaps them from frame to frame to frame.....
That's a good maintenance program. A few years back I was swapping frames and found that my frame was cranked at the weld near the BB. I thought my BB was bad but it turned out to be the frame making all the noise. The best part was the frame was under warranty and Trek sent me a know one!

·
And He was Not
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice ebb there TeamTwitchy. How much was that? I have allready priced some respectable cable guides ($2.52 a piece). I may cut these off and have a friend weld some new ones on and do a repaint since you just had to get one in the same color as me. :rolleyes:

The Ventanna race gives me 7mm extra A-C on the Reba, It helps me get the front up, maybe you need one since your such a weenie and can't wheelie yours. :D

As far a maintenance goes, I use loads of Antiseeze on my Ebb. The stuff gets on everything, but it doesn't go away.

I think with a set of Carbon Bars, Rigid Fork, and my other set of wheels and tires, I could have this thing in the low 23 lbs. range.

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
Enoch said:
Nice ebb there TeamTwitchy. How much was that? I have allready priced some respectable cable guides ($2.52 a piece). I may cut these off and have a friend weld some new ones on and do a repaint since you just had to get one in the same color as me. :rolleyes:
I wanted to do the cable guide thing. If you know somebody locally I would like to get in on that.
The EBB was almost half as much as the frame. I got it back when I had too much money to spend on the Dean.

Enoch said:
The Ventanna race gives me 7mm extra A-C on the Reba, It helps me get the front up, maybe you need one since your such a weenie and can't wheelie yours. :D
With my 50mm stem I got no problem getting it up.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.