Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Basically curious what folks thoughts are on these tires. I'm in the North East USA.

Currently rotating between the following for XC racing (29'er) depending on mood, course, or conditions:

Ardent Race 2.35
Forekaster 2.35
Ikon 2.35
Fast Trak 2.3

I love the fast Track when conditions and the course are mild. They are the lightest, most supple and roll the fastest. Definitely the most fragile of the group.

After that, I will put an Ikon on if I don't know the course and it's a remote / backwoods event - they feel noticeably tougher and less likely to flat on. They are definitely heavier, but probably offer a little more grip.

Rarely, but sometimes I'll run an Ardent Race up front if I want more bite in corners. In my mind the AR seems like it should corner better than the Ikon, though I can't really prove this. The Ikon has surprisingly substantial side knobs for what it is.

Lastly is probably my favorite, the Forekaster. It's such a good tire in damp or loose conditions for me. I think there is a rolling resistance penalty, but not a weight penalty.

I enjoy swapping between them though it probably makes far less difference than I imagine. Just something fun to toy around with. Does anyone have any strong thoughts or opinions on these. What else to consider?

·
Registered
189 Posts
My preference is Recon race 2.35 for a balanced bite to rolling resistance. If I’m not to worried about bite or corner grip, I’ll use Aspen’s for their fast rolling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
309 Posts
Been impressed by the Rekon Race so far. Slots right between the Ardent Race and Ikon to me. Our conditions have varied so much that I’ve stayed with Ardent Race F and Rekon Race R. Could see Rekon Race F & R being a solid combo when purely XC riding.

I have trust issues with the Aspens lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts