Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this would be of interest to the members of this board.

After looking for a single speed for quite a while, I had the opportunity to buy an set of 2003 Cannondale 1FG's, a complete bike, size Large, and a frame only, size Medium. After test riding both sizes, I settled on the Medium frame and built it up for myself.

Then I was left with the large frame and a few components, so I decided to do a special project out of it.

It's been built with a mix of new parts (wheels, tires, brakes, stem, seat post), like new parts (frame - 1 ride!) and parts that I had laying in the garage (seat, bars, grips, bar ends).

I spent many hours stripping the original clear coat and then hand sanding the frame and many components. Sanding was done with water based automotive grade paper starting with 180 and all the way to 800 grit. Polishing was done with a high speed polishing wheel using professional compounds. Everything was then finished with a good application of Mothers compound.

It's a gorgeous bike, and it will turn head wherever it goes.

Check my web site for more info: 1FG Web Site

Anyway, I have started to work on a new project (with a motor this time!) so this one has to go.

MTBR Classifieds Ad

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is nothing wrong with polishing...

fatboyslimfast said:
I thought it wasn't possible to strip and polish C'dale frames, I posted on here and was told it would effect the strength of the frame? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Yeah, and I heard that riding any Cannondale backwards under a full moon will also cause your frame to grow dimples and become weak, voiding the Cannondale warranty in the process...

Polishing does not actually change any property of the metal in the frame. Some other processes require that the material be heated and might alter the metal characterisitics tho (Powder Coating, anodizing) but I don't know enough about these processes to make a judgement.

Finally, there are a number of companies out there that actually sell bikes that are either polished (Intense being one of them), anodized (Santa Cruz comes to mind). Not sure about the powder coating tho.

Cheers.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well that's what I thought, I'm in two minds wether to strip my Supervee down, but when I posted for any examples I was told the above. I also mailed Cannondale Europe who told me that even re-painting the frame could cause problems - "..the tubes are so thin" is what I was told! Well after seeing yours, I'm going for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.