Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this would be of interest to the members of this board.

After looking for a single speed for quite a while, I had the opportunity to buy an set of 2003 Cannondale 1FG's, a complete bike, size Large, and a frame only, size Medium. After test riding both sizes, I settled on the Medium frame and built it up for myself.

Then I was left with the large frame and a few components, so I decided to do a special project out of it.

It's been built with a mix of new parts (wheels, tires, brakes, stem, seat post), like new parts (frame - 1 ride!) and parts that I had laying in the garage (seat, bars, grips, bar ends).

I spent many hours stripping the original clear coat and then hand sanding the frame and many components. Sanding was done with water based automotive grade paper starting with 180 and all the way to 800 grit. Polishing was done with a high speed polishing wheel using professional compounds. Everything was then finished with a good application of Mothers compound.

It's a gorgeous bike, and it will turn head wherever it goes.

Check my web site for more info: 1FG Web Site

Anyway, I have started to work on a new project (with a motor this time!) so this one has to go.

MTBR Classifieds Ad

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
many winter nights...

shwinboy said:
You put the bling into Blinglespeed!!!!

How long did all that polishing take and will it be hard to keep it nice and shiny?

Very cool project.
IT took me quite a few winter nights and weekends to get it all there.

Maintenance is actually pretty easy, just grb a can of Mothers polish, buff it and your're done.

·
Registered
215 Posts
cool project! What size tires are those? They look friken huge. I got the same bike and i was wondering what would fit. I've run 2.2 specialized and it was about the max as far as fork clearance go's but they were big 2.2's. Has anyone tried a 2.3 wierwolf in thier 1fg?

·
Penis Goat!
806 Posts
Nice job, that turned out really well! I love the other polished components, it really completes the package.

One thing, though - you might want to flip around your Avid rotors, they're backwards.

BTW, what's your next project?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.