Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Frame arrive yesterday. Built it up tonight. Still need a few minor things (adjust HB height, new chain, swap front derailleur), but given the forecast, I have till Feb.

Paul Love Levers bound to Avid Ultimates. Feel fantastic. I was worried about the lack of spring in the lever...not an issue. Rigid fork by Willits. Wheels are King/ DT 1.1s, 32h, 3x driveside, 2x non-driveside (Rear), 2x (Front). X0 grippies and X9 RD will be replaced with 2007 XTR as soon as my order arrives.

More of the same.

Under-TT cable routing. Pretty much the only structural piece that I asked for.

Under-TT cabe routing looks so clean in front. Head tube sticker to be replaced with badge whenever Willits gets them in.

Only one of these I have seen in/ around the shop.

All was not peachy, though. Brake bosses were powdercoated. I didn't realize that until I tried to put on the brake. Wouldn't come off, so I had to use a punch and a hammer. Knicked up the backside of a brake caliper pretty badly, and popped the bearing out. Also knicked the fork leg. That's what I get for working in low light.

It's been raining for like the past 8 months down here, so I don't know when I'll get a chance to ride.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
WarPigs said:
why didnt u get the fork the same colour as the frame?
Who cares???? That's a gorgeous bike. And perhaps he went with black so he could have something that would go with anything (in case he changes frame color down the road or gets something different in the future).

Enjoy your new bike down there in TX!!!

·
Registered
803 Posts
after seeing a lot of gorgeous bikes in here, like this one, most comes with the same color scheme for the fork.

if he is going to blow money changing the frame color later on, might as well do it for the fork, i dont think its going to cost that much more than just the frame alone.

anyway, its his bike, i'm just interested in knowing why.

maybe to give an illusion of a floating frame with the rest of the components black? my bike is similar looking except i have a white fork n polish crank arms.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I love this bike....

beautifully built white frame, Avid v-brakes, King hs, Sram shifters, all the things I love and use on my Wojcik 29er :thumbsup: . The custom rigid fork takes it up a notch and I am sure handles great. A guy I occasionally ride with has a Willits w/ the custom rigid fork and I have had the pleasure of a test ride ;) . Great job on the color choice and build up!.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the frame is built for use with a suspension fork, if i ever get the hair to get a Reba, or WB. it would've bugged me to no end if i went from a matching fork to an off-colored one. so, i went with black. i'm all for my stuff being aesthetically pleasing, and like McG posted, black goes with everything.

·
528 Posts
Nice

Nice bike. So you went with suspension corrected. I think that was a smart choice given that down the road you might get the itch to try a REBA or white bros.

the Inbred said:
the frame is built for use with a suspension fork, if i ever get the hair to get a Reba, or WB. it would've bugged me to no end if i went from a matching fork to an off-colored one. so, i went with black. i'm all for my stuff being aesthetically pleasing, and like McG posted, black goes with everything.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
the Inbred said:
Is the fork a Willits unicrown fork? What length and rake? Their site says their suspension corrected forks are all 465 A-to-C, but they don't mention rake...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.