Shifters - SRAM X9
Brake Set - Avid BB7/SD7 Levers
Rear Derailleur - SRAM X9
Rear Shock - Fox DHX 5.0 Air
Rims - Spank Subrosa
Hubs - Hope Pro II
Pedals - Deity Decoy
Crank - Truvativ Holzfeller Urban
Saddle - Verde Timber (Pictured: Charge Stool. Saddle is temporary until I get it back from the shop.)

Awaiting a chainguide to arrive before it's ride-able, though. Need to chop down the steerer a little as well.

One question - Would I be asking for trouble if I were to flip the shock around, so that the canister is below instead of on top like it is now? Does having the canister upside down make it more susceptible to getting dirt past the seals?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Not really, I'm mostly into DJs, 4X and street. The squish is just there to take the edge off and give my back a rest. I've got a pair of Minions for trail and DH and am also awaiting a pair of Continental Rubber Queens, just to see what the fuss is about.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been on it for the past 2 months with an E13 DRS up front. I love my Pike/Wildcard combo. I've not tried the combo with the bike in the 6.5" setting yet, though. I've just been having problems setting up the DHX Air. That's a component that I'm switching out the moment some cash comes in. I'm probably getting the ISX-6. I can't get into a really detailed answer on why I like the Pike/Wilcard combo. I don't know how to explain it, but it just feels right to me. The Wildcards that I've tried before have all had 6" forks up front and set at the 5" travel mode. The bike just felt too slack and unstable to me. Maybe I'm just too used to steeper angles on a bike and lower BB heights, I'm not too sure. I'm not too technically inclined and know nuts about geo and other stuff. I just fiddle with the bike until it feels right to me. If you look at the Wildcard shock setting thread in this forum, you'll see that I don't even know my exact settings on the shock. I just turn knobs and dials until it feels nice to me.

Sorry about the rambling, I'm probably the worst person to ask how anything feels.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Is your chain staying on in front, without any guide or bashring?
edit: oops just noticed you are going to put a guide on it.

The brown seat looks a bit lonely on an otherwise black bike :D

I suppose people have different ideas about how they want a bike to feel. For most things, I am comfortable with a relatively steep head angle too.

·
Registered
113 Posts
QUESTION.....

Would I be mad to use the Wildcard to do or AM / XC type of riding...?? Would the rear start bobbing or the front start wandering under hard climbs??

I mean, the seat angles are totally steep, which should make for pretty efficient climbing on paper and the slack head angle and long travel fork would totally eat up the downs..
(On paper, the only penalty I suppose against AM / XC / riding is the frame weight)

So, am I asking for trouble using the Wildcard in this way, besides the weight penalty??

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The WC rules as an AM machine. I'm running almost 30% sag on the trails and hardly feel any bobbing, even when standing and cranking. Feels real stable in the air, eats up the bumps on the way down, unless it gets real gnarly and climbs nice. They can be built up fairly light, not XC light, but light enough. My current build weighs in at about 15kg, that's about 33lbs. I could go lighter, but this build was done with not much thought put into weight savings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.