Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi

I have just finished building my wife's new bike.

Small Jet9 RDO

Sram 2x10 Drive train,

Sram X0 BB30 cranks 26/39.

XX Front derailier.

Sram X9 rear derailier.

Sram Double tap 2x10 Shifters,

Shimano XT 36-11 Cassette,

RockShox Reba XX fork, 100mm, Tapered steerer, 20mm Through Axle,

Avid Elixir CR Mag Brakes with 185mm XX Rotors front & rear.

Sram XX match makers,

FSA Carbon riser bars,

Wheels
set
1/
Stan's NoTubes Flow rims (white ), DT Swiss spokes,Sram X9 hubs.

set
2/
Stan's No Tubes Crest rims (Black ) DT Swiss spokes, ZTR hubs.

The handle bars are set to high at the moment but I will be playing around with stems & bars so I started high & will go down from there.

Attachments

Reactions: natzx7

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

Attachments

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice build!! What is the weight? Also where is your RDO?

-Nolan
Hi, with the heavy pedals,seat & seat post & a Downhill stem but with the Crest wheels, it is still just under 25 lb so Niki is happy with that, But we will drop it some more.

My Tang Lge RDO will be here next week I'm told.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is one sweet ride. I am considering one of these as well. I am curious about the sizing, mind sharing your wife's height?

thx
Niki is 5'3 & really likes the fit.

She likes the big wheels & how they ride, She had a Giant Trance 0 before getting her 1st 29er last december.

We keep a short stem on her bikes so she doesn't put to much weight on her wrists as she suffer's from carpal tunnel.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for coming back to me. There is a small on eBay, but I think at 5'9" a small prob wouldn't work for me

Thx
There are lots of 5'9 riders liking a small Niner,They do have a longist top tube.

What seat height do you run ?

My wife has her seat 660mm from centre of cranks, I ride a Lge & have my seat at 800mm

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
A lucky wife indeed. Not only did she get a nice bike. Hubby was also considerate enought to place a rug underneath it. As to not get the carpet dirty/stained.

I agree, the white rims really help set it off. A white and black saddle would blow the roof off the joint.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice! But 185 rotors? save her some weight and toss on some 160's
Not on your life, 185 will stay.

150 grams is nothing & the drop in braking power & control is not worth it.

Also all our wheels need to fit all our bikes & 160 well its silly IMO.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
'No quick ride around the block on your wife's bike ?
Hopefully your bike arrives soon, so we can get some feedback.
Yes I have been around the block on it, It feels Very good but want to get a good idea on the right size bike before I say to much.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How well do the double tappers work as mtb shifters. I am thinking the front shifter would be great for 2x10.
My wife likes them but I don't, When ridding fast through single track you need to be carful not to change the wrong way & get the wrong gear & when pushing hard in the ruff it is hader to get it right.

I find the Sram 2x10 with the trigger shifters work well & thats what I tell people to go to.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Not on your life, 185 will stay.

150 grams is nothing & the drop in braking power & control is not worth it.

Also all our wheels need to fit all our bikes & 160 well its silly IMO.
I do the same with all my wheelsets so as far as possible they are interchangable.

However I run 180 front and 160 rear.

I have never felt the need to put anything bigger on the rear for the XC style of riding that I do.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I do the same with all my wheelsets so as far as possible they are interchangable.

However I run 180 front and 160 rear.

I have never felt the need to put anything bigger on the rear for the XC style of riding that I do.
For the rear I don't really need 185mm but do need more than 160 so went with 185.

Now that I can get 180mm XX rotors I will go to 180mm on all of the rears & keep the 185's on the front.

I like fast down hill stuff & I brake hard & get mush more control out of the larger rotors.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.