Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a couple of years now, Rocky is bringning to market not only great bikes, but top contenders for the best bike in many categories. Just thinking of the Vertex Carbon, Altitude or the latest Flatline, it makes me think that the next Slayer should be a pretty rad bike.

The actual version of the SXC is a great bike but needs a little bit more to be considered as THE best all-mountain bike.

With that in mind, here is my whish list for the next version of the Slayer:
1) Drop a full pound on the frame`s weight
2) Tapered head tube to increase stiffness
3) Full 160-170mm of rear wheel travel
4) Slacker head angle: 67 degree is the number that comes to mind with a 545mm A2C fork
5) 142mm rear spacing
6) ICGS 05

Just for fun, let me know what you guys would like to see happen with the new Slayer... Are we on the same page? not at all?

·
Registered
469 Posts
louiffe said:
With that in mind, here is my whish list for the next version of the Slayer:
1) Drop a full pound on the frame`s weight
2) Tapered head tube to increase stiffness
3) Full 160-170mm of rear wheel travel
4) Slacker head angle: 67 degree is the number that comes to mind with a 545mm A2C fork
5) 142mm rear spacing
6) ICGS 05
1) I think the weight is fine and dropping it further would probably be to the detriment of durability and solid feel.
2) Totally agree, or just a full on 1.5 headtube.
3) The bike feels quite balanced as is, so I wouldn't change this
4) Sure, everyone seems to like 67 these days
5) I would say make the dropouts replacable (to run 135 or 150) or just leave them at 135, because god knows we dont need more standards on MTBs. 142 is eerily similar to a 15mm front axle, which is also unnecessary in the scheme of things.
6) agreed

I would change a couple things.

1) A bit more rear end tire clearance would be nice, but there isnt much wiggle room there with the suspension design.
2) Provide a some breathing room for coil shocks.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hum I dont see why no 142mm. If it,s going to be the next standard for all-mountain bike, I want RM to adopt it right away, not after 4 years when it`s everywhere in the market. Thinking of the tapered head tube for instance...

·
Registered
729 Posts
If it is, it may or may not be. 135mm is absolutely fine as long as you use some sort of bolt-on axle or a thru-bolt 10mm one.
I'm still not sure whether I like tapered head tubes or not. They for sure look awful. I really like the Slayer as it is now :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.