Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am brand new, first bike since 8th grade, blah, blah, blah ;)

1) What is your budget. Or budget range.

$500 - $800

2) What kind of riding do you think you will do.

First, I will be setting up to commute on gravel roads 20 miles round-trip 2 times/week.
Second, we live near some trails and I'd like to give those a go, too.
Third, preliminary planning for a 40-50 mile per day (for 3 days) trip with my sons and a support car.

3) Full Suspension(FS) or HardTail(HT), or not sure?

HT, I think, because of my budget and ability.

4) OnLine, Local Bike Shop(LBS) or both.

LBS (or used) for their support and to support them. (Personal choice, I know the pros and cons of online vs. local...)

5) If you list several choices, do you want users to recommend similar bikes?

I guess not really.

6) Anything that is a must? Like disc specific rims? Disc Brakes ...

Not really. I'm learning as I go.

7) Age? weight? It make make a difference in how we respond.

I am 46, 295 lbs. and dropping; hoping to get below 200 partially with the help of the bike. I have never ridden a MTB, and it's been years since I've gone further than the driveway on any bike whatsoever.

Now for the "thinking out loud"....

I have been looking at a 2007 Giant Yukon (when ever Giant releases them in the US) at about $500. This would be new from the LBS where I want to do business.

I am investigating a used 2005 Specialized Stumpjumper Disc HT at $800 OBO. I have visited enough shops that I am pretty comfortable that the frame is the right size for me.

My first priority (and again, this is personal choice stuff) is that I want my LBS to be my shop. They do not carry Specialized, but I imagine they will work on it for me, and I would buy most of my accessories/parts from them.

Input and thoughts appreciated... Thanks!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I would go with the Spec. The component level is so far above the Giant. And at your weight that Suntour fork is going to be worthless. Does the LBS have the Spec. for sale? If so, I would a. make sure the fork has been serviced recently, or b. have them service the fork as part of the sale.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I'd also check craiglist in your area, also stop my some lbs in your area and see what they have in your budget and brings those back to this forum.

A good lbs should work on any bike regardless of where you buy it. I would go HT for you since you are going to be riding many miles. Although, a FS would require more work; and you'd get strong quicker and drop weight quicker too.

I think the bike you are looking to buy is this one:

http://www.mmba.org/viewtopic.php?p=358020&sid=fe22d16f7c6e648d397be3db5f033d58

if you are 6' or taller a 19" frame is fine for you. This bike seems to be a pretty good deal with LX/XT drive train, nice bb7 brakes.

here are some reviews of the bike:
http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/XC_Hardtail/product_124772.shtml

i say go for it

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Get the Stumpy

Used bikes can be a great way to go, especially if the bike is in good shape. The '05 Stumpy disc is one hell of a bike, and should be a great choice for your purposes. If it's in good shape offer $700 and go from there. Let us know what you end up buying.

Bob

P.S. Thanks for trying out the new format that was suggested. This really helps us to narrow down the replies and focus in on what you really want.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
Used bikes can be a great way to go, especially if the bike is in good shape. The '05 Stumpy disc is one hell of a bike, and should be a great choice for your purposes. If it's in good shape offer $700 and go from there. Let us know what you end up buying.

Bob

P.S. Thanks for trying out the new format that was suggested. This really helps us to narrow down the replies and focus in on what you really want.
:) :D :thumbsup:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
739 Posts
ChuckHubbert said:
Yep, that's the one... nice internet work!

I am waiting for pics now, and an exact location. I'll be back with any results. Thanks, everyone for the input.

Chuck
haha, not a stalker, but I wanted to get the specs of it, and that was one of the top searches that came up:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.